Nov 29, 2012, 10:24 PM EDT
UPDATE: Heyman was told by Dodgers officials that it’s unlikely they’ll make a run at Pierzynski. Makes sense with Ellis in-house. As in, they’re all stocked up on A.J.’s.
10:15 PM: It seems like the deep-pocketed Dodgers have been mentioned as a potential suitor for nearly every free agent on the market. Now it’s A.J. Pierzynski‘s turn.
According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Dodgers have emerged as an “interesting surprise possibility” for Pierzynski. A.J. Ellis is coming off a solid season, so it’s not a huge area of need, but Heyman notes that the Dodgers tried to sign Pierzynski two years ago before he returned to the White Sox for less money.
The market for Pierzynski has been pretty quiet thus far, but things could heat up now that Russell Martin has signed a two-year, $17 million deal with the Pirates. The Yankees, Mariners and Rangers are among the teams in the market for a catcher. The Red Sox are currently talking to Mike Napoli, but view him more as a first baseman and occasional catcher. The White Sox can’t be ruled out as a possibility for Pierzynski, though it appears they are content with giving Tyler Flowers a shot.
Pierzynski is looking to cash in this winter after batting .278/.326/.501 in 2012 while establishing new career-highs with 27 homers and an .827 OPS. He turns 36 later this month.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)