Nov 29, 2012, 10:24 PM EDT
UPDATE: Heyman was told by Dodgers officials that it’s unlikely they’ll make a run at Pierzynski. Makes sense with Ellis in-house. As in, they’re all stocked up on A.J.’s.
10:15 PM: It seems like the deep-pocketed Dodgers have been mentioned as a potential suitor for nearly every free agent on the market. Now it’s A.J. Pierzynski‘s turn.
According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Dodgers have emerged as an “interesting surprise possibility” for Pierzynski. A.J. Ellis is coming off a solid season, so it’s not a huge area of need, but Heyman notes that the Dodgers tried to sign Pierzynski two years ago before he returned to the White Sox for less money.
The market for Pierzynski has been pretty quiet thus far, but things could heat up now that Russell Martin has signed a two-year, $17 million deal with the Pirates. The Yankees, Mariners and Rangers are among the teams in the market for a catcher. The Red Sox are currently talking to Mike Napoli, but view him more as a first baseman and occasional catcher. The White Sox can’t be ruled out as a possibility for Pierzynski, though it appears they are content with giving Tyler Flowers a shot.
Pierzynski is looking to cash in this winter after batting .278/.326/.501 in 2012 while establishing new career-highs with 27 homers and an .827 OPS. He turns 36 later this month.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)