Nov 29, 2012, 10:24 PM EDT
UPDATE: Heyman was told by Dodgers officials that it’s unlikely they’ll make a run at Pierzynski. Makes sense with Ellis in-house. As in, they’re all stocked up on A.J.’s.
10:15 PM: It seems like the deep-pocketed Dodgers have been mentioned as a potential suitor for nearly every free agent on the market. Now it’s A.J. Pierzynski‘s turn.
According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Dodgers have emerged as an “interesting surprise possibility” for Pierzynski. A.J. Ellis is coming off a solid season, so it’s not a huge area of need, but Heyman notes that the Dodgers tried to sign Pierzynski two years ago before he returned to the White Sox for less money.
The market for Pierzynski has been pretty quiet thus far, but things could heat up now that Russell Martin has signed a two-year, $17 million deal with the Pirates. The Yankees, Mariners and Rangers are among the teams in the market for a catcher. The Red Sox are currently talking to Mike Napoli, but view him more as a first baseman and occasional catcher. The White Sox can’t be ruled out as a possibility for Pierzynski, though it appears they are content with giving Tyler Flowers a shot.
Pierzynski is looking to cash in this winter after batting .278/.326/.501 in 2012 while establishing new career-highs with 27 homers and an .827 OPS. He turns 36 later this month.
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 0
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 28
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)