Nov 29, 2012, 8:54 AM EDT
Andy Martino of the Daily News says that the Mets have made their “best offer” to David Wright and now await his response. The offer is said to be a total of eight years and $140 million, which presumably includes the option year of 2013 plus seven more.
Martino says that the offer is backloaded with some deferred money, and in structure would be much like
the Jose Reyes offer of last year. the contract Jose Reyes ultimately signed with the Mets. (note: D.J. reminded me that the Mets never actually made Reyes an offer, only talked parameters; my bad).
Some have reported that it’s important to Wright that his total deal exceed the $137.5 million Johan Santana received from the team. If that’s the primary concern, I suppose it’s met, even if the per-year dollars are a good bit lower than that which Santana is getting these days.
In any event, the ball is in Wright’s court.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)