The Mets have made their “best offer” to David Wright

Nov 29, 2012, 8:54 AM EDT

David Wright Getty Getty Images

Andy Martino of the Daily News says that the Mets have made their “best offer” to David Wright and now await his response.  The offer is said to be a total of eight years and $140 million, which presumably includes the option year of 2013 plus seven more.

Martino says that the offer is backloaded with some deferred money, and in structure would be much like the Jose Reyes offer of last year.  the contract Jose Reyes ultimately signed with the Mets. (note: D.J. reminded me that the Mets never actually made Reyes an offer, only talked parameters; my bad).

Some have reported that it’s important to Wright that his total deal exceed the $137.5 million Johan Santana received from the team. If that’s the primary concern, I suppose it’s met, even if the per-year dollars are a good bit lower than that which Santana is getting these days.

In any event, the ball is in Wright’s court.

1. chc4 - Nov 29, 2012 at 8:59 AM

If all this is true and Wright does not sign on the dotted line in the next 48 hours then the Mets must trade him. They can’t get to July and then be forced to trade him for pennies on the dollar.

• dan1111 - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I don’t see the urgency. Some team might overpay for half a season of him.

Plus it might make sense to keep him even if they don’t think he will re-sign. They could at least make a qualifying offer and get a draft pick out of it. And there is some PR benefit to them in not trading away a popular player.

• chc4 - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:35 AM

If the Mets wait til July and Wright won’t agree to re-sign w/ the team he gets traded to (which he wouldn’t since he’s 2 months from free agency) they will get a fraction of what they’d get now.

The PR aspect is a farce. If the Mets have made their best offer and Wright declines then it’s over. Alderson will have no choice but to deal him.

• Jeremiah Graves - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:35 AM

The PR cannot be overlooked for a team that’s gone through some serious upheaval in recent years with the fanbase. Keeping him, making this big (but not big enough) offers, and then letting him “chase the money” at the end of the season writes the narrative that leaves the team in the best light going forward. That way they can play the “we tried to re-sign him, but he wanted WAY TOO MUCH money” card after he walks. Wright looks sorta like the bad guy. The Mets look like they made an effort. The team gets a draft pick. It all works out.

• chc4 - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Jeremiah — that’s all fine and good but the Mets need young talent. They have very little down on the farm other than a couple of pitchers. Letting him walk for nothing in return would set the org back. In case you hadn’t noticed the Mets are horrible right now with Wright. No one goes to CitiField as it is.

They need to get talent for him. Period.

2. ryanrockzzz - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I just want to be the millionth person to propose the outlandish fantasy that the Fightins’ go ahead and make a serious offer for Wright if he rejects this deal.

Give em the big dog Darin Ruf, Tommy Joseph, and Vance Worely, along with Trevor May and maybe they’ll bite.

• chc4 - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Uh the Mets will slam the phone down. Worley? Seriously? Wright would net the Mets a Texiera type of haul and that group you listed isn’t even close.

• Jeremiah Graves - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I think the Teixeira deal proved that teams are unwise to make Teixeira deals.

The Braves re-stocked the Rangers farm system, missed the playoffs, and were only able to trade Teix for spare parts.

• paperlions - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Teams won’t do Texiera-type deals anymore (at least, not on purpose, sometimes they just miss on guys they trade away)….but the Mets certainly aren’t trading Wright for a #3/4 starter and some scraps.

• dan1111 - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Remember, we are talking about one season of Wright here. He is a great player, but how much is that worth, really?

The Teixeira deal was an overpay at the time, and there is also some 20/20 hindsight going into the evaluation of it now: four out of the five prospects ended up being quality major league players, which is quite rare.

• chc4 - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:45 AM

One year of Wright is worth alot to a contending team in need of a power bat. He’s worth very little to the Mets in 2013 b/c they aren’t going to contend either way. And it’s not like Mets fans are flocking to the stadium to see him play anyway.

As for the Tex deal it was a total disaster for Atlanta b/c they didn’t win a world series. That’s 20/20 hindsight. The team acquiring Wright now doesn’t know what the future holds. And it only takes 1 GM to pull the trigger. I seriously doubt Wright would fetch THAT much in a deal but Alderson needs to shoot for the stars. And accept the best haul he can. The Mets are a complete rebuild.

3. Jeremiah Graves - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:13 AM

So we’re talking about roughly Carl Crawford money(ish) here, huh?!

Crawford (after his nine seasons in TB): 1480 hits, 215 doubles, 105 triples, 104 home runs, 765 runs, 592 RBI, 409 SB and a .296/.337/.444 batting line for an OPS of .781 and an OPS+ of 107.

Wright (after nine seasons with NYM): 1426 hits, 322 doubles, 19 triples, 204 home runs, 790 runs, 818 RBI, 166 SB and a .301/.381/.506 battling line for an OPS of .887 and an OPS+ of 135.

Crawford was just a year younger when he signed his seven-year, $142 million deal.

If Crawford can pull that kind of money it makes perfect sense for Wright to seek something bigger and better.

Third base isn’t the top-heavy position it once was and there are a limited number of game-changers at the position. On the open market, I have a hard time picturing Wright going for any less than seven-years, $154+ million, especially with the Angels and Dodgers both in need of a front-line third baseman and deep pockets. The Yankees may need a new third baseman as soon as next offseason, the Red Sox could be in the market as well, both teams in Chicago should never been underestimated.

It will be very interesting to see where this goes from here. It’s a good offer, but Wright is the “face of the franchise” and wants to be paid as such. He wants (and probably deserves) a better deal than some of his contemporaries and that seems legit. It’ll be interesting to see if the Mets are the folks who give it to him or if he’s plying his trade elsewhere.

• somekat - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:09 PM

A corner OF generally gets paid more than a 3B, but if your asking me who I’d rather have on my teams roster for that price, I take Wrght in a heartbeat. But he’s the type of gritty, do whatever is needed type of guy I’ve always liked (as much as I dislike saying that about a Met), and I always saw Crawford as just another good outfielder. Hard to find a better 3B than Wright over the last 5 years.

I’d love see him in Philly, but the Mets would NEVER do that. Even if the Phils overpaid. They aren’t going to want to play against him 15 times a year. But if they do hold on to him, and can’t come to terms, and his is a FA, expect the Phils to throw a ton of cash at him.

That being said, if he doesn’t sign right away, it will be a good sign of where the Mets are at internally for fans. If they move him, and demand MLB ready guys, they are looking to get right back in to it. If they pick up a bunch of AA guys who are 2-3 years away, you will know it’s going to be a tough few years. If he doesn’t sign, they will not get value. Any team trading for him would have to assume they are going to have to give him more than that to extend, and there is not gurantee that he will want to. If they keep him to the dealine, it’s even lower.

If I were them, I’d want a top positon prospect, and 2-3 pitching prospects (can never have too many young arms in your system). I honestly don’t know enough about the Mets farm system to say what level I would want those guys at, whether you would demand ML ready, or willing to take a 19-20 year old kid, would depend on where the rest of the system is at

4. cur68 - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:23 AM

If bloggers take any note of the Statler and Waldorf Commenter preferences in these matters, then I’d like to register that I prefer the picture of “pop eye” David Wright throwing vs. “Smiling David Wright”.

After that, I don’t care where Wright signs but I’m pretty confident he can get more dough on the open market.

5. Old Gator - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Wow, look at those black eyes. Is David just a Warriors junkie, or was he out on a date with Lindsay Lohan last night?

6. stex52 - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Good player. Too much money. You get very good offense and slightly below average defense. Unless you backload the heck out of the contract. In five years journeymen will probably be getting 75 MM$ contracts.

7. dukepatrol - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM

David Wright isn’t as good as Evan Longoria. The money the Mets offered him is beyond fair. Teams are looking to shorten contracts not lengthen them. No team is going to give DW 8 years. He is an excellent player but not an elite one. Also being in NY makes you alot more money then Podunk. Maybe the Dodgers will throw serious cash at him. If he doesn’t agree to this within the next week screw him and trade him now-I don’t want to see his greedy ass on the Mets

• richyballgame - Nov 29, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Well,Evan Longoria,in my opinion,will have that hamstring haunt him the rest of his career.

8. dkphilly1122 - Nov 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Wright is way better than Longoria…….Longoria is good, but not no David Wright. Longoria gets hurt too much too. Wright will be a free agent after he rejects the Mets “best offer”. If they were smart they would trade him by the deadline for whatever they can get, by that I mean talent not just anybody. They can get something good back but definitely not a kings ransom for a pending FA. I love Wright and wish to death he becomes a FA and signs in Philly. We all can dream. I just don’t see him staying in NY where he sees they have nothing going on for years still because they can’t and aren’t spending any money. It’s a shame because he is a stud on a crap team. Get it done RAJ!!

• thebadguyswon - Nov 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Longo has more talent right now…but he’s NEVER healthy. At least Wright plays.

9. pistonhurricane - Nov 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Wright is gonna be a Met…. and the Mets are gonna have to give him a ton of money. There is nothing that pisses me off like seeing former Mets playing in Yankees “Old Timer Games”…. with Michael Kay talking about what Doc Gooden, David Cone, and Darryl Strawberry did in their time with the Yankees. The Mets need to keep Wright for the rest of his career and while they are at it, pin a “C” on his jersey….

• cackalackyank - Nov 29, 2012 at 4:03 PM

So your point is that David Wright wants to be Captian of the Titanic…rather than play for a team that might be good enough to get a ring with?

• pistonhurricane - Nov 29, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Wright has already said that he wants to be a Met for the rest of his career. The Mets are hardly the Titanic…. The Titanic took 160 minutes to sink and is 12,000 feet below the surface. At the start of last season the Mets had better odds to win the World Series than the Baltimore Orioles. Plus the Marlins are in the NL East…..

My point is the Mets doing the right thing. Its about time they started to do the right thing.

10. sdelmonte - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Feels like the Mets are really going all out now. If he says no, I won’t feel like they didn’t try. I just wish I felt like this was enough. If he goes on the open market, someone will probably offer more. It’s now a question of: a) does Wright really want to be the Face of the Mets for the rest of his career; b) does he really want more money; and c) is it worth taking a chance that he’ll pass on the contract and then have a season like Hamilton just did.

If you ask me today what will happen, I say he probably signs, but I wouldn’t bet the farm on it. (And I think that the chances RA gets what he wants might be going down.)

• somekat - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I’d add D) Does he want to resign for the rest of his career with a team that MAY contend when he is 31-32. That’s assuming they make all the right moves over the next 2-3 years. If they don’t, you can push that back to 33-34?

It’s a ton of money, but when a guy is going to get a ton of money no matter where he goes, and he doesn’t think the team can win, it’s a tough sell. You would think they have an advantage being his only team, but at the same time, as long as he’s been there, if he doesn’t feel they can compete, it’s going to be tough to change his mind.

11. johnmetfan - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:55 PM

As a long time Mest fan, I would hate to see Wright go but I think enough of his talent, and character, to feel he deserves to be with a team that has a shot at giving him a world series and realisticaly, I don’t see that happening with the Mets in the near future unless they pull off a miracle year.
    It’s every baseball players dream to win the world series and if he ends up going, then I wish him the best and hope we could fill the gap his leaving would bring. With out current ownership though, I’ve learned not to hold my breath for good things to happen.

12. fissels - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Either way Wright will make out great. Good money or a trade out of the Met’s situation

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3476)