The MLBPA elects its player reps

Nov 29, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT

Curtis Granderson Reuters Reuters

When I had a real job my boss used to call me the “shop steward.” But that was because (a) I was lazy; and (b) he hated unions and thought that laziness was the primary trait of unions. It was a great office.

In reality, union representatives do things, all while still having to focus on their actual job.  Keep that in mind when any of these guys — just elected to union leadership for the next two years — have a little slump:

Returning to their posts as association player representatives, the highest elected positions in the union, are Curtis Granderson (Yankees) and Jeremy Guthrie (Royals). Justin Masterson (Indians) was elected alternate association player representative, joining returnee Carlos Villanueva (free agent).

Chris Capuano (Dodgers) returns as one of two pension committee representatives to serve alongside newcomer Craig Breslow (Red Sox). Returning as alternate pension committee representatives are Ross Ohlendorf (free agent) and Kevin Slowey (free agent).

You may now all bash unions in the comments, just as you do every time I write something labor-related. Just remember: Marvin Miller is now in the afterlife, and he will come back and haunt your ass if you do. Just see if he won’t.

1. thestevejeltzexperiment - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:38 PM

“You can’t treat the working man this way. One day, we’ll form a union and get the fair and equitable treatment we deserve! Then we’ll go too far, and get corrupt and shiftless, and the Japanese will eat us alive!”

“If only we’d listened to that boy, instead of walling him up in the abandoned coke oven.”

• coldyron - Nov 29, 2012 at 6:16 PM

DENTAL PLAN!

• mikeschieve - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Lisa needs braces.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:48 PM

2. 18thstreet - Nov 29, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Keep this list in mind when otherwise inexplicable trades happen during the season.

3. humanexcrement - Nov 29, 2012 at 3:44 PM

The only thing that irritated me when I had a union job was the resident outspoken conservative who would go running to the union every time he needed something. I’ve literally heard people go from lecturing coworkers on the evils of big government and how laissez faire capitalism is the only way to cheering about how our hourly wage went up because the Union renegotiated a new contract. Or go running for the union steward because Mr. Meanie the supervisor hollered at him. It’s funny how conservative piss and moan about handouts and unions and big government, but when they find out they’re eligible for unemployment or farm subsidies or federal student aid, they change their tune faster than you can say Mitt Romney.

• jfwiii - Nov 29, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Understood, but to be fair, many of my fellow southerners say “Mitt Romney” rather slowly.

• thestevejeltzexperiment - Nov 29, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Is the conservative supposed to skip taking advantage and pass up a raise, just because the union negotiated it? I don’t see rich liberals voluntarily paying more in taxes even as they advocate that the 1% do so.

As for unemployment benefits and social security — you do pay into the system, so you’re going to want the return when you become eligible. It’s not like anyone made it voluntary for me to pay into Social Security, so am I supposed to pass on the benefits?

I freely confess to not liking unions, but that’s because (a) I don’t see them as being the vaunted defenders of worker’s rights they claim to be in the private sector (they were in the past), and (b) they basically sit on both sides of the bargaining table in the public sector, leading to political giveaways that screw over taxpayers.

• seeingwhatsticks - Nov 30, 2012 at 4:40 AM

I agree unions did more in the past but that’s also a result of the fact that there was more to do. I think unions do a lot of things wrong but I also think they do a lot of good, even for those that aren’t union members, by establishing rates that companies have to pay. What do you think would happen if there were no more unions? Do you think pay rates would stay the same or continue to rise on blue collar jobs? Do you think benefits would still be offered? I don’t think things would revert to the 19th century immediately but I do think the progress would be eroded over time.

As far as rich liberals, you’re right that not a lot volunteer to pay more in taxes but I do hear a lot of them say they’d be happy to pay more if asked.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Excrement:
      I was once a Union employee at a rather large Manufacturing facility. Prior to becoming an official card carrying member I had to go through the employers probationary period so they could determine if they wanted to hire me or not. While two months into the job (and still on probation) I actually had an entire department of “Union Brothers” tell me to slow down as I was making them look bad. Yep…slow down in the name of productivity! Hahaha! But one thing I am not going to do is paint all unions with the same broad brush you just used to paint conservatives.
      I might think Unions breed laziness. I might think Unions have ran there course.
      But I am not going to lump them all together as you just did with Conservatives.
      Much like them telling me to slow down…lumping everyone together wouldn’t be very productive.

4. ezthinking - Nov 29, 2012 at 4:09 PM

“For a hundred years the owners screwed the players. For 25 years the players have screwed the owners – they’ve got 75 years to go.”

Jim Bouton

5. Francisco (FC) - Nov 29, 2012 at 6:24 PM

When I had a real job

What are you talking about? This IS your real job. The lawyer stuff was just a phase you went through…

• 18thstreet - Nov 30, 2012 at 7:28 AM

I was a paralegal for a long time at a big-time DC law firm. I would say this blog contributes more to society than that firm and its competitors did.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS