Nov 29, 2012, 2:19 PM EST
When I had a real job my boss used to call me the “shop steward.” But that was because (a) I was lazy; and (b) he hated unions and thought that laziness was the primary trait of unions. It was a great office.
In reality, union representatives do things, all while still having to focus on their actual job. Keep that in mind when any of these guys — just elected to union leadership for the next two years — have a little slump:
Returning to their posts as association player representatives, the highest elected positions in the union, are Curtis Granderson (Yankees) and Jeremy Guthrie (Royals). Justin Masterson (Indians) was elected alternate association player representative, joining returnee Carlos Villanueva (free agent).
Chris Capuano (Dodgers) returns as one of two pension committee representatives to serve alongside newcomer Craig Breslow (Red Sox). Returning as alternate pension committee representatives are Ross Ohlendorf (free agent) and Kevin Slowey (free agent).
You may now all bash unions in the comments, just as you do every time I write something labor-related. Just remember: Marvin Miller is now in the afterlife, and he will come back and haunt your ass if you do. Just see if he won’t.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)