Nov 29, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
When I had a real job my boss used to call me the “shop steward.” But that was because (a) I was lazy; and (b) he hated unions and thought that laziness was the primary trait of unions. It was a great office.
In reality, union representatives do things, all while still having to focus on their actual job. Keep that in mind when any of these guys — just elected to union leadership for the next two years — have a little slump:
Returning to their posts as association player representatives, the highest elected positions in the union, are Curtis Granderson (Yankees) and Jeremy Guthrie (Royals). Justin Masterson (Indians) was elected alternate association player representative, joining returnee Carlos Villanueva (free agent).
Chris Capuano (Dodgers) returns as one of two pension committee representatives to serve alongside newcomer Craig Breslow (Red Sox). Returning as alternate pension committee representatives are Ross Ohlendorf (free agent) and Kevin Slowey (free agent).
You may now all bash unions in the comments, just as you do every time I write something labor-related. Just remember: Marvin Miller is now in the afterlife, and he will come back and haunt your ass if you do. Just see if he won’t.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)