The Red Sox are talking to Adam LaRoche

Nov 29, 2012, 8:43 PM EDT

Adam LaRoche Getty Getty Images

The Red Sox have reportedly identified Mike Napoli as their No. 1 target in free agency, but they are also weighing the alternatives.

According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Red Sox are talking to Adam LaRoche as a potential fallback option for first base. The Red Sox have made a three-year offer to Napoli, but it’s believed that he wants a four-year deal. The Rangers and Mariners are his other prominent suitors.

Heyman hears that the Nationals have been “fairly steadfast” in offering LaRoche a two-year deal and they could hold firm on that acquiring Denard Span earlier today, as Bryce Harper and Jayson Werth project to play the corners while Michael Morse could simply slide over to first base. Of course, it’s still possible the Nationals could re-sign LaRoche and entertain trade offers for Morse.

LaRoche, 33, batted .271/.343/.510 with 33 home runs, 100 RBI and an .853 OPS this past season and also won his first Gold Glove award. He declined a $13.3 million qualifying offer from the Nationals in order to test free agency, so whoever signs him would have to surrender a draft pick.

1. proudlycanadian - Nov 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM

As a Jays fan, I would prefer that they sign Napoli to a 4 year deal.

• psuravens19 - Nov 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM

As an O’s fan I agree with you… and prefer LaRoche signs with the O’s.

• uyf1950 - Nov 29, 2012 at 11:09 PM

The Red Sox are “talking to” a player, that’s a new one. I have to remember to add that to “kicking the tires on”, interested in, on their radar, checking on and a host of others. Wake me when it progresses to “negotiating with”. Until then this is all hyperbole.

2. tfbuckfutter - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Finally someone at least promising is on their radar (not overwhelming but way more whelming then the underwhelming stock of whelminglessness they have pursued so far)…..

I was starting to feel like the Kansas City Royals had moved to the AL East, and acquired a ton of spending money. “Hey, I’ve heard of this guy I think.” “SIGN HIM QUICK!”

3. tashkalucy - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Thanks to the ever competitive New England media, the Red Sox are interested in every player that there is a rumor about, and some that they make up a rumor about.

This has been going on during the off-season since free agency started in the mid 70′s.

Maybe if I can get my picture taken with a baseball uniform on, they’ll go 3 years for $17.5 M on me.

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:31 PM

You’ll have to buy into the new philosophy of the team: “We tried paying a ton of money for guys who didn’t try hard enough so now….you know….like….whatever….or something….”

• tashkalucy - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Why have Red Sox fans reminded me of rich kids that complain to their parents about giving them gifts they didn’t earn that the kids think are not as nice as the gifts other kids get?

When I started following baseball in the 50′s and through the early 60′s Red Sox fans were known as some of the best in baseball. No matter how badly the Sox were playing, the fans were behind them at Fenway and everywhere else. But after they had the miraculous ’67 season, the fans turned into nothing but complainers. Red Sox fans bitch about everything to do with the team – from players to coaches to the manager to the front office. America has been tired of the kvetching for years. Heck, the Red Sox media and their fans are a running joke in ‘The Onion’…..and with good reason.

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 29, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I can tell you why.

Because we’re used to Legos.

And now our parents are buying us those knockoff Legos that “work with Lego brand building blocks.”

No they don’t. They may LOOK like Legos, but they aren’t Legos. You try and connect them with REAL Legos and you know what happens? They fall apart. And then they end up mixed in your Lego bucket and for the rest of your childhood you try to build a castle and then three quarters of the way through the entire damn thing falls down because you didn’t realize you used two knockoff Lego blocks in the foundation.

Every Red Sox signing this year has been knockoff Legos.

• rcquinn1972 - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Did you seriously try and bash the Red Sox organization and their fan base because they are a “running joke in The Onion?” Seriously, you’re talking about a fish wrapper mag from Wisconsin that reports on the Miss Cheesehead pageant in Green Bay. Red Sox fans are as passionate as they come, and like many other fan bases, we have some whiners, but us true fans could care less what some idiot at The Onion in Wisconsin has to say about New England sports. Stay happy reading your fish wrapper, and comment on the Miss Cheesehead pageant, not New England sports!

4. canadabaseball - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I would rather the blue jays stay out from signing a 1B I think the EE and lind for the first month then travis D’anard can be called up after.
    that the jays need that 5th starter Brandon Mcharthy would fill that roll extremely well.

5. bostonboy82 - Nov 29, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Would be a decent signing, that’s why they’ll pass.

6. navyteach - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I’m curious to see what they both sign for in the end. It’s hard to argue that LaRoche isn’t the better all-around player but Napoli does offer flexibility in that he can play both C and 1B. Granted, he is a marginal fielder in both positions but he can play both if needed. I imagine that they will both sign within a week of each other but who will be the first to sign?

7. rcquinn1972 - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Personally, I’d like to see them sign both of them.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5479)