The Red Sox may be interested in Brian Wilson

Nov 29, 2012, 9:43 AM EDT

brian wilson getty wide Getty Images

This is kinda thin even by hot stove standards, but there’s nothing else going on. Indeed, news is so slow that I spent a few minutes this morning creating an Aaron Gleeman “Gangnam Style” JibJab video. Wait, what?

Oh, the thing: Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald says that if, as is widely assumed, the San Francisco Giants decide to non-tender Brian Wilson tomorrow, that the Sox may have an interest.

Why they’d want him I have no idea, but I’m not sure you could convince the Sox fan base that such a signing wouldn’t be Bobby Jenks redux, even if it wasn’t for dumb money.  Lauber notes that Wilson is from New Hampshire, but I can’t see how that matters. If anyone has gone west coast, it’s Wilson.  And as we’ve often noted, those “he’s from around here” things never seem to work out.

1. skids003 - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Please Craig, no Gangnam. It would be unbecoming of you.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I’m proud to say I don’t know what that is then.

• indaburg - Nov 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM

All I know is that Bill O’Reilly hates it, so I must like it.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Oh, then it must have something to do with lady parts.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Nothing to do with lady parts. It is a dance craze created by a Korean rapper.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Ok, then I think I’m still okay not knowing.

• loungefly74 - Nov 29, 2012 at 3:07 PM

…livin’ in a cave? there are just certain pop culture events that penetrate to everyone. im just shocked you dont know it. heck…the video for the song (which is great, by the way) has like 700,000,000 hits.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I probably spend a lot more time in the 19th century than most of you…so, yeah, I kinda live in a cave.

2. uyf1950 - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Now that’s what I’m talking about, another story about a player the Red Sox “might have interest in”, are kicking the tires on, have on their radar, are check into, etc…And in spite of all of this interest by the Red Sox the only players outside the organization to have interest in them are/were David Ross a part time overpaid catcher and Jonny Gomes a platoon left-fielder who can’t hit RHP’ing worth a lick and is defensively challenged that was overpaid. Brian Wilson should be right up 4 Yowkey Way’s alley.

• theskinsman - Nov 29, 2012 at 10:58 AM

The the only players outside the organization to have interest in them are/were David Ross a part time overpaid catcher and Jonny Gomes a platoon left-fielder who can’t hit RHP’ing worth a lick and is defensively challenged that was overpaid.

I’m thrilled that we have your all knowing Wizard of Oz capabilities to know what players are interested in the Bosox. Seems to me they’ve had no trouble signing players for the last 100ish years.
      But you keep on flailing away at every blog that has a rumor about the Red Sox. Your obsession is showing. Shouldn’t you be busy commenting on the end of this years’ Brett Farve award PED Andy just won?
      Why aren’t you ranting on that the yanks need to worry about signing some players who can actually hit during the playoffs? I’m hoping that Cashman signs a few more over 40 pitchers. Pavano is available again.love to see him back.

• uyf1950 - Nov 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Thank you, I’m flattered that you seem to have been following my comments. But maybe I’m not the one that is obsessed in that case.
        Actually I would comment about PED’s but if I did my lead story would probably be how Ortiz blew smoke up the Red Sox fan butt’s a few years back when he held his press conference pleading ignorance on how those “illegal” supplements got into his system that made him test positive back in the day. If you remember or maybe you have selective memory loss that he promised to get to the bottom of it and report back. Well that was about 5 or 6 years ago maybe more and I believe the fans are still waiting for that explanation.

As for your comment about the Yankees lack of hitting in the post season. You mean the Yankees that won the World Series in 2009, went to the ALCS in 2010, lost to the Tigers in 2011 but outscored them in total in that series 28 to 16. But you are correct about the 2012 ALCS when the Yankees were swept in the ALCS after defeating the Orioles just prior to that series. I’m surprised that a baseball aficionado like yourself isn’t aware of the baseball adage that anything can happen in a short series.

One final comment in reply to your post. Cashman I believe stated it eloquently a few weeks back when he addressed a question about the age of the Yankee players. To para-phase he basically said “I don’t care if a players old, I care if he’s good”. And my friend in spite of your sarcasm there is not doubt Pettitte, Rivera are not only good but great and Kuroda has been excellent in his short MLB career.

Have a good day. Oh, there is one other thing as I write this. I believe the thumbs up feature on this site was really intended for “other” posters to show there approval of your comment(s) not for you to thumb up your own comment. That’s just my opinion.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM

The Yankees are not a fixer upper like the Red Sox. One team finished first in the AL East and the other team finished last. Meanwhile, the 4th place team in the AL East has made several quality additions to its roster.

• anxovies - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM

“Seems to me they’ve had no trouble signing players for the last 100ish years.”

What’s this? A Bosox talking smack? We must be well into the Silly Season. An how did almost all of those 100ish years turn out? Just because you guys got rid of the cancer in the manager’s office and the cancer on the pitching staff and the cancer in… oh well, you know what I mean. Better gird your loins because those antiquated Yankees are going to slap you around like grandma did when she found you smoking on the back porch. How’s that for mixing metaphors?

3. Old Gator - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:51 AM

This isn’t thin, this is nano. Brian Wilson is not an eastern Massachusetts type. If the Beanbags played in the Berkshires, maybe. Eccentricity is the coin of the realm out there. But for this dysfunctional bunch of backstabbers, scapegoaters, leakers, whiners, finger-pointers and power-mongers? Naaaahhhh.

Alright, as noted here before on several occasions, Wilson does look like Herman Melville: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f1/Herman_Melville.jpg/220px-Herman_Melville.jpg&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Melville&h=330&w=220&sz=10&tbnid=Ux0MC2yeGn0o9M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=63&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dimages%2Bfor%2BHerman%2BMelville%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=images+for+Herman+Melville&usg=__cZNQTOSY_Q1oIgr8q5bRfBDTXw0=&docid=ZOFepX8wnSHZVM&sa=X&ei=FHa3UKb4KcW22gXa9IDwCQ&ved=0CDAQ9QEwAA&dur=2452

…so perhaps his Beanbag yearbook bio could begin “Call me Brian.”

But it would probably be better if he just demurred and said “I would prefer not to.”

• dan1111 - Nov 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM

So you’re saying that Wilson would feel right at home on a sinking ship?

I heard the Marlins have a hole or two to fill in their opening day roster.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM

They also have a massive hole in the ownership roster. Type A to be precise.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM

That bio would be a lot more interesting than that Ahab’s Wife crap.

• Old Gator - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Ugh. I got about thirty pages into that travesty, everything after page two attributable solely to my indomitable will to read, then gave it up played the Dead’s “Maybe it Was the Roses” a couple of times to clear my head out. Moby-Dick needed lamprey of a sequel like that stuck to his ass like he needed another harpoon in his gonads.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I’ll short-hand it for you: wifey Forrest Gumps her way through the 19th century. Let’s pretend it never happened, shall we? I read it as a book club obligation. But, as I forced them to read World Enough and Time (which I am SURE they would never read on their own), I guess I can’t complain. Then, we washed that down with Erskine Caldwell, so it ended well.

• jwbiii - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I always think of this guy
      when I see Wilson.

4. stex52 - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Maybe they are headed back to that “lumberjacks on LSD” look that they had when they won the World Series. Can’t hurt to try it. :-)

5. pisano - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Who cares?

• uyf1950 - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:56 AM

My friend, come on as a Yankee fan you have to love all of the players the Red Sox apparently have interest in but that don’t have interest in them.

• pisano - Nov 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM

uyf1950…. I know what you’re saying, but in reality there’s probably only three players in the majors they aren’t interested in, so why not list them?

• indaburg - Nov 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Tis the off-season right before winter meetings. There is nothing, zilch, nada, rien going on. A posting listing only players the Red Sox aren’t interested in would be too short.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Got a notice in my twitter feed this am from the Tigers: 84 days til spring games start!!!! Eeeeeee!!!

• indaburg - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:13 PM

84 days. That’s not bad. I can hold on for 84 days. I’m going to check out the Tigers’ spring training camp this year for the first time. I plan to visit all of the ones within an hour from my house.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Ooooh, I’m going to hope for eyes on the ground reports then. Yea!

6. bobwsc - Nov 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Cherington is from NH as well. those roots run deep.

Based on this commercial starring Wilson, there could be more to this:

• richwizl - Nov 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM

This is a riot. Bring Wilson to Boston, NOW! His humor alone is worth the price of admission. Teams need to be fun, not robots. We need more Idiots! who can play, of course.

• richwizl - Nov 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM

BTW, Wilson is originally from Winchester, MA, a Boston suburb. The family later moved up the road a piece, to Southern NH.

7. historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I’ll probably get jumped for this, but I’d love for him to come to the D.

8. daveitsgood - Nov 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM

feah the wicked beahd

9. deathmonkey41 - Nov 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM

David Ortiz just wants to know how something like this can happen to him????

10. hushbrother - Nov 29, 2012 at 12:07 PM

“He’ll put fans in the seats.” ::eyeroll::

11. bayarea510 - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

As a Giants fan I think I just threw up in my mouth. Wilson and San Francisco just makes sense …plus the Giants have a high tolerance for its players doing weird sh*t, not sure up tight teams and back east would put up with his antics.

12. ejannetta - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:52 PM

The Dead Sox have an interest in any player with a pulse. Who wants to play for a team that is destined to finish in last place in the AL east?

13. hieronymous27 - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Brian Wilson to the Detroit Tigers. Jim Leyland could tame Wilson’s eccentric ways.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Or, he’ll just smoke more. Whatever.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win