Nov 29, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
After consecutive seasons of 99 and 96 losses, the obvious answer for the Twins is to tear it all down. True change, though, hasn’t come to Minnesota in a long time.
These Twins have employed two managers in 25 years, with Ron Gardenhire replacing Tom Kelly in 2002. General manager Terry Ryan spent 14 years on the job, stepped down in favor of his longtime assistant, Bill Smith, in 2007 and then came back a year ago only after Smith proved totally inadequate.
When the Twins decided to make some coaching changes at season’s end, it was mostly a reshuffling. The new hitting coach simply moved up from Triple-A. The old hitting coach became the third base coach. The old bench coach became the first base coach.
The Twins finally made a real move for the future Thursday when they traded center fielder Denard Span to the Nationals for a top pitching prospect in righty Alex Meyer. Even that was a compromise move, though. Trading Span isn’t starting over. It only clears $4.75 million from the 2013 payroll. And his replacement, Ben Revere, is a very similar player who probably won’t ever be as good as Span is.
That’s why this can only be the first domino to fall. Trading Span and keeping Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau and Josh Willingham would be crazy. With their unexceptional farm system, the Twins aren’t going to contend the next two years. There’s a case for holding on to Mauer as the face of the franchise, but Morneau and Willingham aren’t great bets for 2015, which is the year the Twins need to be thinking about now.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Jones was forced to exit Thursday’s game after colliding with the center field fence.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:13 PM EDT
After being designated for assignment by the Mariners over the weekend, Rodney will be reunited with Joe Maddon in Chicago.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Bumgarner also had a heck of a day on the mound.
Aug 27, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Bonds filed a grievance on the grounds that he was blackballed from the game following the 2007 season.
Aug 27, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
Dodgers utility man Enrique Hernandez did his best to catch up to the heat from Reds closer Aroldis Chapman this afternoon.
Aug 27, 2015, 5:34 PM EDT
Fernandez missed much of the season recovering from Tommy John elbow surgery.
Aug 27, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
No shorts, though. Major bummer.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
Its not often we have reason to cheer the decisions ESPN makes but today we do.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
Time is still undefeated.
Aug 27, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
Aug 27, 2015, 3:13 PM EDT
This is a great slice of weird, totally suitable for killing time on a slow afternoon. Bonus: Bon Jovi is tangentially involved.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:16 PM EDT
Los Angeles acquired Callaspo from Atlanta in a late-May trade.
Aug 27, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Last week’s rumored trade with the Dodgers apparently fell through.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
“Smithers’ I’m beginning to think that Homer Simpson was not the brilliant tactician I thought he was.”
Aug 27, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
He’s having an incredible season.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:34 AM EDT
Basically, we’re all miserable EXCEPT Cubs fans. What a bizzaro world we live in.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Jennings spent three months on the disabled list following knee surgery.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT
No wins in over three months despite a 3.24 ERA.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:06 AM EDT
Boycotts thrive on publicity. This one ended as soon as the publicity started.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:38 AM EDT
This is why Starlin Castro does not have the shortstop gig anymore.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 8
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 57
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)