Woman found tied up in Aroldis Chapman’s hotel room fined $164 after guilty plea

Nov 29, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT

hotel hell

Remember back in May when police found a woman tied up in Aroldis Chapman‘s hotel room?

She claimed to have been robbed of $200,000 worth of jewelry, but then changed her story several times and was later charged with lying to police. Well, this week she pleaded guilty in exchange for the charge being lessened from a misdemeanor to disorderly conduct.

Moriah Balingit of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the woman–a 27-year-old named Claudia Manrique–failed a polygraph test and “after the 12 hours of questioning police determined she was being untruthful.”

Her punishment after all of this? “Manrique was ordered to pay an $164 fine, according to court records.”

What a weird story.

1. sportsdrenched - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM

If I’m Scott Boras or any other Sports Agency I develop a full day seminar titled “Crazy Bi….err Women” and make my clients sit through it…and give them a test at the end.

2. raysfan1 - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:22 PM

And the court costs?

• icanspeel - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Woman pays 164 in fines.. Tax payers probably pay much more for the cost of the whole investigation and plea. Got to love it.

• anxovies - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Probably about the same amount as when the mayor takes his cronys to lunch every Wednesday.

3. hisgirlgotburrelled - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I got an underage at college with a .04 bac when I was 20 and paid a steeper fine.

• purnellmeagrejr - Nov 29, 2012 at 3:30 PM

not sure what your post means – DId you have sex with a 13 year old girl that you got half drunk on a bottle of RIppple when you were in colllege?

• hisgirlgotburrelled - Nov 29, 2012 at 3:44 PM

… dude, what?!?!

• protius - Nov 29, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I don’t know what “I got an underage” means. Please explain what a .04 bac is?

You are using a local vernacular that only you are familiar with. Try using more generalized terms that everyone can relate to.

• manchestermiracle - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM

protius, c’mon man: Underage drinking, likely a misdemeanor, and a Blood Alcohol Content of .04%. You know, halfway to a DWI of .08%.

• protius - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Sorry, but I had no idea what he was talking about, and neither did at least, two other people.

He is making the statement; therefore, the onus is on him to make himself understood by whomever reads his comments; it is not up to me to take his intended meaning for granted.

He was either speaking in local vernacular, or age specific vernacular, in either event, he is in a universal venue and should speak in universal terms.

4. bostonboy82 - Nov 29, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Hahaaaaahaaaa

5. db105 - Nov 29, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Good way to encourage this type of behavior.

6. twoseam2007 - Nov 29, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I got $300 in fines for “transporting alcohol” in college even though my twenty two year old passenger bought it and the alcohol was in the trunk and neither one of us was drinking it. The whole system is corrupt and that undercover cop who was camping out in the liquor store who followed me and claimed i made an illegal u-turn when i didn’t just so he could pull me over for “looking underaged” can go F*** himself… whoa, went on a bit of a tangent there.

• manchestermiracle - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Most likely the only difference is that a pro ball player can afford a really good attorney. College students end up with the over-worked, underpaid public defender.

7. Tim's Neighbor - Nov 30, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Remember kids, when the nice police officer asks to search your vehicle, the answer is always no.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Absolutely Tim. Always no.
      In college I once got a charge of possession (weed) dropped because I didn’t give consent.
      Cop: I need your consent to search your car or I am going to have to get my gog.
      ME: You better get your dog.

He leaves his underling with me and returns with his dog (mangy looking mutt). Heinz 57 type dog.
      Dog searches the perimeter of my carr..doesn’t hit on anything.
      The sorry ass cop put his dog back in his car (after about 35 – 45 minutes) and then proceeds to open my car doors and start searching.
      After another 35 – 45 minutes he finds my herb and acts all #1 cop like.
      You know…super detective…I saved the world type crap.

ME: Can you please dump it out Sir. We both know it is such a small amount its going to be a misdemeanor.
      COP: Misdeameanor huh? You sound like you are well versed in Marijuana.
      ME: No disrespect Sir…but you did find rolling papers.
      COP: I am not dumping it. After my dog finds it it’s a done deal. It’s mine.
      ME: Chuckle…chuckle.
      COP: What’s so damn funny?
      ME: Again sir…no disrespect…but your dog didn’t find shit.
      COP: Is that right?
      ME: Yes Sir. Your dog is in YOUR car. YOU opened my doors and started searching on your own.
      COP: We will just see about that.
      ME: Yes we will Sir. You see…I am a criminal justice major and I happen to know the search and seizure laws. In fact…I thought I wanted to be a police officer until I realized how big of a hypocrit I would be. See you in court.

Again…charges dropped.

To reiterate: Never…EVER…give consent to search. You never know what may be in your vehicle without your knowledge. You never know when someone might have inadvertantly dropped something in your vehicle. Friend, family, co-worker…THE POLICE…anyone.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS