Nov 29, 2012, 8:07 PM EST
UPDATE: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Yankees and Rivera have agreed to terms on a one-year, $10 million contract. He’ll have the chance to earn more with incentives.
4:21 PM: We had a false report the other day, but now it appears it’s finally getting done:
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) November 29, 2012
Happy birthday to him. Rivera turns 43 today.
And speaking of age, that’s a lot of bread for a reliever of his vintage, especially coming off an injury. But please, in every way, shape and form, Rivera is a special case and it was never likely that the Yankees were going to pay him like a 43 year-old reliever coming off an injury. No more than Derek Jeter was going to get the kind of contract one normally gives a shortstop in his late 30s a couple of years ago.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)