Nov 29, 2012, 8:07 PM EST
UPDATE: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Yankees and Rivera have agreed to terms on a one-year, $10 million contract. He’ll have the chance to earn more with incentives.
4:21 PM: We had a false report the other day, but now it appears it’s finally getting done:
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) November 29, 2012
Happy birthday to him. Rivera turns 43 today.
And speaking of age, that’s a lot of bread for a reliever of his vintage, especially coming off an injury. But please, in every way, shape and form, Rivera is a special case and it was never likely that the Yankees were going to pay him like a 43 year-old reliever coming off an injury. No more than Derek Jeter was going to get the kind of contract one normally gives a shortstop in his late 30s a couple of years ago.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)