Nov 30, 2012, 1:04 PM EDT
Tommy Hanson once looked likely to be atop Atlanta’s rotation for a long time, but after the right-hander struggled for the past season-and-a-half the Braves have traded him to the Angels.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that the Braves will get 25-year-old reliever Jordan Walden in return, which makes it a swap of two young pitchers whose stock has declined dramatically in the last year.
Through his first three seasons Hanson tossed 460 innings with a 3.28 ERA, but this year his ERA rose to 4.48 and his average fastball velocity fell from 92 miles per hour to 89.7 mph. Hanson has struggled with back and shoulder problems since the middle of last season, but even with the declining velocity he managed 161 strikeouts in 175 innings.
Walden went from saving 32 games as a rookie closer in 2011 to quickly losing the job and being relegated mostly to low-leverage outings this year, although he still finished with a nice 3.46 ERA and 48/18 K/BB ratio in 39 innings.
After signing Ryan Madson the Angels clearly felt Walden was expandable and they certainly need plenty of rotation help after trading Ervin Santana and potentially losing both Dan Haren and Zack Greinke to free agency. A healthy Hanson is a 26-year-old top-of-the-rotation starter under team control through 2015 and that would have huge value, but he comes with some big question marks attached and in the meantime the Braves’ scary good bullpen gets even scarier with Walden and his-90s heat.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 23
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)