Nov 30, 2012, 6:02 PM EST
Update: And the Astros have already signed Humber to a one-year deal with a club option for 2014. No word on the terms yet, but a guarantee around $2 million seems likely.
The White Sox were planning to non-tender Philip Humber before Friday’s deadline, but they went ahead and placed him on waivers beforehand, thinking they might pick up a few bucks in process. The Astros took advantage, grabbing Humber with their No. 1 waiver priority.
Humber threw a perfect game against the Mariners in April, yet he finished the season 5-5 with a 6.44 ERA in 16 starts and 10 relief appearances for the Pale Hose. It was quite a comedown after a fine 2011 season in which he went 9-9 with a 3.75 ERA in 163 innings.
Assuming that the Astros work out a contract with Humber, he’ll join a rotation set to include Bud Norris, Lucas Harrell (another guy who was claimed off waivers from the White Sox) and Jordan Lyles. Humber is eligible for arbitration for the first time, so he wouldn’t stand to make more than $1.5 million-$2 million in 2013.
The White Sox also today announced that first baseman Dan Johnson and minor league right-hander Anthony Carter have been non-tendered. Those two could be offered minor league contracts to stick around.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)