Bonds, Clemens Hall of Fame odds start at 10/1

Nov 30, 2012, 8:40 AM EDT

Red October

A little groggy this morning. I was going to go to bed early, but as I was about to I noticed that “Blade Runner” was on HDMV, and “Blade Runner” is one of those movies that, no matter how many times you’ve seen it — in my case several dozen times — and no matter how many versions of it you own on DVD — I have two — you have to sit and watch all the way through. So I did.  It ended at about 11:40, which for an old man like me is pushing it some.

But just as I was about to go to bed “The Hunt for Red October” came on the same channel.  Same rules apply there too, so I really had no choice.  I didn’t watch the whole thing, but I did watch up until the F-14 crashes on the flight deck of the Enterprise and Fred Thompson unleashes his immortal “This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it” line. I went to bed after that.

That’s probably the line I quote the most from that movie in “And That Happened” posts.  The second most-quoted line from that movie in ATH is no doubt “personally, I’d give us one chance in three. More tea anyone?” after which Sean Connery thoughtfully chews some meat which looks to be tougher than shoe leather.

Oh, and speaking of odds, the oddsmakers at Bovada have set them for Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds’ Hall of Fame induction:

Given yesterday’s observation about how, maybe, some old-school anti-PED guys are willing to give Bonds and Clemens the benefit of the doubt, maybe it’s a good bet. And that’s the case even if they’ve done … questionable things.  Because they have also done extraordinary things and we should revel in their time.

Anyway, if you’re into betting on such things, there you are.  If you put a gun to my head I’d still say they won’t make it, but I’d probably consider laying at least a little money on Bonds and Clemens at 10/1.

And yes, I know this was a long way to get there, but hey, at least you now have a thread dedicated to “Blade Runner” and “Hunt for Red October,” and that’s cool, right?

1. Beau - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Craig, be careful what you shoot at. Most things in here don’t react to well to bullets.

2. Jason @ IIATMS - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I go with “one ping only, Vasily”

• Chris Fiorentino - Nov 30, 2012 at 10:07 AM

My favorite line, and one my brother and I used sometimes when we would watch sports and our team just lost…”I would like to have seen Montana”

• Old Gator - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Well, you guys snatched my two favorites so I’ll go with number three: “Come on Big D, flyyyy.” Most urgent line in the movie.

Then of course, there’s “You’ve lost another submarine?”

I guess it works better if you root for the Cowboys, though….

3. hushbrother - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Blade Runner has been re-released at least three times on Blu-Ray alone. Before that it had been put out on DVD numerous times, and of course was re-cut and re-released theatrically three times.

I guess Ridley Scott is never satisfied.

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Yeah, I know. I got the first one right when it came out on DVD in the earlty-to-mid 90s or whatever (it may have been the first major DVD release). Then I got the “Final Cut” edition that came out a few years ago.

• aceshigh11 - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:06 AM

“The first feature films on DVD appeared in Japan on December 20 [1996] (The Assassin, Blade Runner, Eraser, and The Fugitive from Warner Home Video)”

Dunno why I felt the need to look that up, but well done, my good man.

4. yahmule - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Craig, you don’t have to dress up the daily Bonds/Clemens thread with a discussion about movies. We know this campaigning vehicle is going to be part of the Hardball Talk landscape until the votes are announced. Then the focus will shift to how those guys got shafted or to celebrate their induction.

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:16 AM

You make it sound like there’s only one Bonds/Clemens thread a day. You callin’ me a slacker?

• bsbiz - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Sounded like a challenge to me.

And Bovada just puts the Over/Under line of additional Bonds/Clemens posts at 1.5.

5. dcfan4life - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Why would you put a picture of Sean Connery as a russian in The Hunt for Red October instead of in a tuxedo as James Bond? Not sure why you’d plug in a James Bond for Barry Bonds anyways…

• dcfan4life - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I forgot to mention who cares if it was on TV, the reference is pointless to begin with.

6. gogigantos - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:19 AM

One writer, Ray Ratto, who get’s it and shouts it,,,

7. sdelmonte - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I will be booted from this board and all of the Internet for saying this but…

I have never sat through an entire showing of Blade Runner. And I prefer the version with the narration.

Agree about Red October, though.

• bsbiz - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I never felt the need to watch it. I’ll welcome you on the other side.

• Chris Fiorentino - Nov 30, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I prefer the narration as well. I also prefer the very nice rack on a mid-thirties Joanna Kennedy.

8. finfan88shark - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Travesty of justice both should be first ballot Hall of Famers.

• bsbiz - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I doubt Travis T. Justice will get the requisite 5% to stay on the ballot.

9. dirtyharry1971 - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Both Clemens and Bonds are too good to be in the HOF anyway, when you got guys like perez and puckett who couldnt hold their spikes who cares if they get in? HOF is so watered down these days its become a joke

10. someguyinva - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I don’t remember that Thompson line from Red October, but I do remember “Son, the average Russian sailor doesn’t take a dump without a direct order.”

I may be perpetually twelve years old…

11. weaselpuppy - Nov 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Alec Baldwin doing a Sean Connery impression IN a movie with Connery in it is my favorite part….though I’d love to see some Parker/Stone type cartoon send up with Connery dressed as Bond, Tim Curry dressed as FrankNFurter, JEJ dressed as Vader, and Sam Neil as the crazy captain in Event Horizon….

12. Detroit Michael - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I’d like it better if they took odds at bets that Bonds and Clemens won’t be voted into the Hall this year. The 10:1 odds may be just a sucker bet if they aren’t offering the same betting line (minus the vig) in the other direction.

13. bootla - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Crazy Ivan!

14. crisisjunky - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM

“My morse is a little rusty, I might be sending the the measurements of Playmate of the month.”

15. sailcat54 - Dec 1, 2012 at 12:43 AM

As a lifelong Giants fan, I say Barry does not deserve to be in the HOF. In the 90s, Bonds was a magnificent player, never mind the fact he was a world-class asshole. He could hit for average, power the ball over the fence, steal bases, and make spectacular defensive plays look routine. He was beautiful. But he ruined his legacy and damaged the game with his blatant and arrogant use of PEDs. Ultimately, Bonds became the face of everything that was wrong with baseball during that era…and he remains unrepentant about it to this day. I think it is great to remember the player Barry once was, but there is no reason to reward him for his crimes.

Leave Bonds out of the HOF.

All the trade deadline news to know