Nov 30, 2012, 8:40 AM EST
A little groggy this morning. I was going to go to bed early, but as I was about to I noticed that “Blade Runner” was on HDMV, and “Blade Runner” is one of those movies that, no matter how many times you’ve seen it — in my case several dozen times — and no matter how many versions of it you own on DVD — I have two — you have to sit and watch all the way through. So I did. It ended at about 11:40, which for an old man like me is pushing it some.
But just as I was about to go to bed “The Hunt for Red October” came on the same channel. Same rules apply there too, so I really had no choice. I didn’t watch the whole thing, but I did watch up until the F-14 crashes on the flight deck of the Enterprise and Fred Thompson unleashes his immortal “This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it” line. I went to bed after that.
That’s probably the line I quote the most from that movie in “And That Happened” posts. The second most-quoted line from that movie in ATH is no doubt “personally, I’d give us one chance in three. More tea anyone?” after which Sean Connery thoughtfully chews some meat which looks to be tougher than shoe leather.
Oh, and speaking of odds, the oddsmakers at Bovada have set them for Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds’ Hall of Fame induction:
Will Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens or Sammy Sosa be inducted into the HOF as a 1st time candidate? Yes pays10/1 bit.ly/L55rDc
— Bovada Official (@BovadaLV) November 29, 2012
Given yesterday’s observation about how, maybe, some old-school anti-PED guys are willing to give Bonds and Clemens the benefit of the doubt, maybe it’s a good bet. And that’s the case even if they’ve done … questionable things. Because they have also done extraordinary things and we should revel in their time.
Anyway, if you’re into betting on such things, there you are. If you put a gun to my head I’d still say they won’t make it, but I’d probably consider laying at least a little money on Bonds and Clemens at 10/1.
And yes, I know this was a long way to get there, but hey, at least you now have a thread dedicated to “Blade Runner” and “Hunt for Red October,” and that’s cool, right?
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 71
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)