Nov 30, 2012, 8:40 AM EDT
A little groggy this morning. I was going to go to bed early, but as I was about to I noticed that “Blade Runner” was on HDMV, and “Blade Runner” is one of those movies that, no matter how many times you’ve seen it — in my case several dozen times — and no matter how many versions of it you own on DVD — I have two — you have to sit and watch all the way through. So I did. It ended at about 11:40, which for an old man like me is pushing it some.
But just as I was about to go to bed “The Hunt for Red October” came on the same channel. Same rules apply there too, so I really had no choice. I didn’t watch the whole thing, but I did watch up until the F-14 crashes on the flight deck of the Enterprise and Fred Thompson unleashes his immortal “This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it” line. I went to bed after that.
That’s probably the line I quote the most from that movie in “And That Happened” posts. The second most-quoted line from that movie in ATH is no doubt “personally, I’d give us one chance in three. More tea anyone?” after which Sean Connery thoughtfully chews some meat which looks to be tougher than shoe leather.
Oh, and speaking of odds, the oddsmakers at Bovada have set them for Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds’ Hall of Fame induction:
Will Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens or Sammy Sosa be inducted into the HOF as a 1st time candidate? Yes pays10/1 bit.ly/L55rDc
— Bovada Official (@BovadaLV) November 29, 2012
Given yesterday’s observation about how, maybe, some old-school anti-PED guys are willing to give Bonds and Clemens the benefit of the doubt, maybe it’s a good bet. And that’s the case even if they’ve done … questionable things. Because they have also done extraordinary things and we should revel in their time.
Anyway, if you’re into betting on such things, there you are. If you put a gun to my head I’d still say they won’t make it, but I’d probably consider laying at least a little money on Bonds and Clemens at 10/1.
And yes, I know this was a long way to get there, but hey, at least you now have a thread dedicated to “Blade Runner” and “Hunt for Red October,” and that’s cool, right?
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 36
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 21
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 22
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 37
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (99)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)