Bonds, Clemens Hall of Fame odds start at 10/1

Nov 30, 2012, 8:40 AM EDT

Red October

A little groggy this morning. I was going to go to bed early, but as I was about to I noticed that “Blade Runner” was on HDMV, and “Blade Runner” is one of those movies that, no matter how many times you’ve seen it — in my case several dozen times — and no matter how many versions of it you own on DVD — I have two — you have to sit and watch all the way through. So I did.  It ended at about 11:40, which for an old man like me is pushing it some.

But just as I was about to go to bed “The Hunt for Red October” came on the same channel.  Same rules apply there too, so I really had no choice.  I didn’t watch the whole thing, but I did watch up until the F-14 crashes on the flight deck of the Enterprise and Fred Thompson unleashes his immortal “This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it” line. I went to bed after that.

That’s probably the line I quote the most from that movie in “And That Happened” posts.  The second most-quoted line from that movie in ATH is no doubt “personally, I’d give us one chance in three. More tea anyone?” after which Sean Connery thoughtfully chews some meat which looks to be tougher than shoe leather.

Oh, and speaking of odds, the oddsmakers at Bovada have set them for Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds’ Hall of Fame induction:

Given yesterday’s observation about how, maybe, some old-school anti-PED guys are willing to give Bonds and Clemens the benefit of the doubt, maybe it’s a good bet. And that’s the case even if they’ve done … questionable things.  Because they have also done extraordinary things and we should revel in their time.

Anyway, if you’re into betting on such things, there you are.  If you put a gun to my head I’d still say they won’t make it, but I’d probably consider laying at least a little money on Bonds and Clemens at 10/1.

And yes, I know this was a long way to get there, but hey, at least you now have a thread dedicated to “Blade Runner” and “Hunt for Red October,” and that’s cool, right?

Latest Posts
  1. Nationals announce injured Max Scherzer will not make his next scheduled start

Apr 27, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT

Max Scherzer AP

Scherzer is in the first season of a seven-year, $210 million contract and has pitched very well through four starts with a 1.26 ERA and 29/4 K/BB ratio in 29 innings.

2. Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas

Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT

hamilton getty Getty Images

Hamilton had a full no-trade clause with the Angels. And he exercised it in an effort to get back to the Rangers.

3. Did the Angels shoot themselves in the foot in the Josh Hamilton situation?

Apr 27, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT

Jerry Dipoto, Arte Moreno AP

Pro tip: when you’re trying to sell something, don’t tell all of your potential customers how crappy the thing is and how desperate you are to be rid of it.

4. Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations

Apr 27, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT

Josh Hamilton AP

This trade rids the Angels of Josh Hamilton, Josh Hamilton of the Angels and give the Rangers a pretty big bargain. Win-win-win?

5. Marlins drop Jarrod Saltalamacchia just 16 months after giving him $21 million

Apr 27, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT

Jarrod Saltalamacchia AP

Saltalamacchia is owed $7 million this season and $8 million next season.

6. Reminder: the reason the DH isn’t universal is because the Phillies screwed up the vote

Apr 27, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

phillies logo

As usual, the Phillies are why we can’t have nice things.

7. Rays will be without injured John Jaso until at least June

Apr 27, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT

Orioles Rays Spring Baseball AP

Jaso injured his wrist sliding into third base on Opening Day.

8. On the move again: Dodgers trade Xavier Cedeno to Rays

Apr 27, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT

Xavier Cedeno Nationals AP

He was traded from the Nationals to the Dodgers just last week.

9. Orioles COO John Angelos puts baseball, civil rights and protests in perspective

Apr 27, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT

John Angelos

Powerful words from the Orioles’ executive in the wake of the death of Freddie Gray.

10. Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd

Apr 27, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT

Edgar Martinez

Some people are really committed. Others are so committed, maybe they should be committed.

11. Chris Perez opts out of minor league deal with Brewers

Apr 27, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT

chris perez getty Getty Images

Perez posted a 9.39 ERA in six appearances for Triple-A Colorado Springs.

12. The Rays have yet to play a game in an outdoor stadium

Apr 27, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT

Rays logo

“Outdoor baseball is stupid, and domes should be universal. My column:”

13. A month later, there’s still no timetable for Justin Verlander’s return to the Tigers

Apr 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT

Detroit Tigers' Verlander reacts after leaving the game against Texas Rangers in their MLB American League baseball game in Arlington Reuters

He hasn’t thrown since cutting short a bullpen session 10 days ago.

14. Jeff Loria says there have been no serious discussions about firing Mike Redmond

Apr 27, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT

mike redmond getty Getty Images

The Marlins lose: rumors of the manager being on the hot seat. They win: he’s safe. That’s the sort of reaction that stable teams run by wise men pursue, right?

15. Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal

Apr 27, 2015, 8:34 AM EDT

adam wainwirght getty Getty Images

And no, I don’t say that just because Adam Wainwright has been lost for the season due to an injury sustained while hitting.

16. And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights

Apr 27, 2015, 7:09 AM EDT

John Farrell Dustin Pedroia AP

“Can you pitch, Dustin? Like, every fifth day? I’m serious.”

17. Jose Abreu joined select company with his 162nd career game

Apr 26, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT

Jose Abreu Jose Abreu

Jose Abreu, one might say, is good at hitting baseballs.

18. Max Scherzer thinks the National League should adopt the DH

Apr 26, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT

Max Scherzer AP

Max Scherzer made an argument for bringing the DH to the National League.

19. The market for Cole Hamels is getting bigger

Apr 26, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT

Cole Hamels Cole Hamels

Perhaps Phillies GM Ruben Amaro was right to hold onto Cole Hamels.

1. Y. Puig (3102)