Nov 30, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Kansas City has avoided arbitration with Chris Getz, signing the infielder to a one-year contract.
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that Getz will get $1.05 million, plus $150,000 in potential incentives. He made $967,500 this year while hitting .275 with zero homers and a .672 OPS in 64 games, missing the final six weeks of the season with a broken thumb.
For now Getz looks likely to be the Royals’ starting second baseman, although presumably they’ll give Johnny Giavotella a chance to win the job at some point.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)