Nov 30, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Kansas City has avoided arbitration with Chris Getz, signing the infielder to a one-year contract.
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that Getz will get $1.05 million, plus $150,000 in potential incentives. He made $967,500 this year while hitting .275 with zero homers and a .672 OPS in 64 games, missing the final six weeks of the season with a broken thumb.
For now Getz looks likely to be the Royals’ starting second baseman, although presumably they’ll give Johnny Giavotella a chance to win the job at some point.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 18
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 63
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)