Nov 30, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Kansas City has avoided arbitration with Chris Getz, signing the infielder to a one-year contract.
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that Getz will get $1.05 million, plus $150,000 in potential incentives. He made $967,500 this year while hitting .275 with zero homers and a .672 OPS in 64 games, missing the final six weeks of the season with a broken thumb.
For now Getz looks likely to be the Royals’ starting second baseman, although presumably they’ll give Johnny Giavotella a chance to win the job at some point.
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 1
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 1
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 7
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)