Nov 30, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Kansas City has avoided arbitration with Chris Getz, signing the infielder to a one-year contract.
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that Getz will get $1.05 million, plus $150,000 in potential incentives. He made $967,500 this year while hitting .275 with zero homers and a .672 OPS in 64 games, missing the final six weeks of the season with a broken thumb.
For now Getz looks likely to be the Royals’ starting second baseman, although presumably they’ll give Johnny Giavotella a chance to win the job at some point.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 0
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)