Nov 30, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Kansas City has avoided arbitration with Chris Getz, signing the infielder to a one-year contract.
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that Getz will get $1.05 million, plus $150,000 in potential incentives. He made $967,500 this year while hitting .275 with zero homers and a .672 OPS in 64 games, missing the final six weeks of the season with a broken thumb.
For now Getz looks likely to be the Royals’ starting second baseman, although presumably they’ll give Johnny Giavotella a chance to win the job at some point.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 2
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 18
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 15
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 144
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)