Nov 30, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT
The rebuilding Cubs don’t look like prime candidates to pursue one of the top free agents on the market, but Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com was told by a major league source that the club has been in touch with Michael Bourn‘s agent, Scott Boras. Of course, Boras represents many players, so it’s possible other names were discussed.
Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer wouldn’t get into any specifics during a phone conference earlier today, but he did mention that he is looking for immediate help in the outfield.
“We do have to address our outfield and we will look to do that,” Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer said in a phone conference with reporters on Friday. “We like our prospects, but when they are as far away as some of those guys are you can’t think about those guys. You have to think about your team now.”
“There are a number of players we will be talking to over the next few weeks,” Hoyer said in his media phone conference.
Bourn lost two suitors this week with the Braves signing B.J. Upton and the Nationals trading for Denard Span, so anything is possible, but it’s difficult to see a fit here. The Cubs are likely a couple of years away from contention while Bourn turns 30 next month. His prime seasons would likely be wasted for an under .500 team.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)