Nov 30, 2012, 7:35 PM EST
The rebuilding Cubs don’t look like prime candidates to pursue one of the top free agents on the market, but Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com was told by a major league source that the club has been in touch with Michael Bourn‘s agent, Scott Boras. Of course, Boras represents many players, so it’s possible other names were discussed.
Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer wouldn’t get into any specifics during a phone conference earlier today, but he did mention that he is looking for immediate help in the outfield.
“We do have to address our outfield and we will look to do that,” Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer said in a phone conference with reporters on Friday. “We like our prospects, but when they are as far away as some of those guys are you can’t think about those guys. You have to think about your team now.”
“There are a number of players we will be talking to over the next few weeks,” Hoyer said in his media phone conference.
Bourn lost two suitors this week with the Braves signing B.J. Upton and the Nationals trading for Denard Span, so anything is possible, but it’s difficult to see a fit here. The Cubs are likely a couple of years away from contention while Bourn turns 30 next month. His prime seasons would likely be wasted for an under .500 team.
- Report: Cuban infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 1
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 12
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 10
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 142
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (144)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)