Nov 30, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT
The rebuilding Cubs don’t look like prime candidates to pursue one of the top free agents on the market, but Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com was told by a major league source that the club has been in touch with Michael Bourn‘s agent, Scott Boras. Of course, Boras represents many players, so it’s possible other names were discussed.
Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer wouldn’t get into any specifics during a phone conference earlier today, but he did mention that he is looking for immediate help in the outfield.
“We do have to address our outfield and we will look to do that,” Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer said in a phone conference with reporters on Friday. “We like our prospects, but when they are as far away as some of those guys are you can’t think about those guys. You have to think about your team now.”
“There are a number of players we will be talking to over the next few weeks,” Hoyer said in his media phone conference.
Bourn lost two suitors this week with the Braves signing B.J. Upton and the Nationals trading for Denard Span, so anything is possible, but it’s difficult to see a fit here. The Cubs are likely a couple of years away from contention while Bourn turns 30 next month. His prime seasons would likely be wasted for an under .500 team.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 2
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 29
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)