Nov 30, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT
The rebuilding Cubs don’t look like prime candidates to pursue one of the top free agents on the market, but Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com was told by a major league source that the club has been in touch with Michael Bourn‘s agent, Scott Boras. Of course, Boras represents many players, so it’s possible other names were discussed.
Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer wouldn’t get into any specifics during a phone conference earlier today, but he did mention that he is looking for immediate help in the outfield.
“We do have to address our outfield and we will look to do that,” Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer said in a phone conference with reporters on Friday. “We like our prospects, but when they are as far away as some of those guys are you can’t think about those guys. You have to think about your team now.”
“There are a number of players we will be talking to over the next few weeks,” Hoyer said in his media phone conference.
Bourn lost two suitors this week with the Braves signing B.J. Upton and the Nationals trading for Denard Span, so anything is possible, but it’s difficult to see a fit here. The Cubs are likely a couple of years away from contention while Bourn turns 30 next month. His prime seasons would likely be wasted for an under .500 team.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)