David Wright and the Mets agree to an eight-year, $138 million deal

Nov 30, 2012, 7:59 AM EDT

David Wright Getty Getty Images

The Mets have their man.

WFAN radio reported first that David Wright and the New York Mets have agreed to a $138 million, eight-year contract. The exact details are not yet known, but Andy Martino of the Daily News tweets that the 2013 option that the Mets just exercised was torn up, making this a true eight-year deal rather than an extension on top of the option. If that sort of thing matters to you.

Either way, the deal locks up Wright under contract with the Mets through the 2020 season, when he will be 37.

Next up: R.A. Dickey. And a rebuild around the man who, when this is all said and done, will be the most significant position player in the history of the New York Mets franchise.

1. scoratz - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:14 AM

A move that had to be made by the Mets! Wright will give you everything he has and more importantly signals to Mets fans that hopefully it’s time to move on from Madoff.

• dcfan4life - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:25 AM

For Wright to completely fullfill this contracts expectations he needs to stay healthy and get some protection in the lineup. The Mets cant just sign one guy and not help him out the way the Twins did with Mauer.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Nov 30, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Hopefully for them, Ike Davis can break his sophomore slump. That would go a long way.

• jl9830 - Nov 30, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I think Ike Davis is going to break out in a big way this season. He’s a gold glove caliber 1B and I could see him putting up a .260/.380/.520 season with 40 home runs batting clean-up behind Wright. I’m looking forward to seeing Davis put it all together.

• badintent - Nov 30, 2012 at 4:34 PM

A great contract for David, well deserved . But just how do the Wilpons plan to pay him ? Another Ponzi scheme.? Some Staten Island water front property ? Some OTC stock “pump and dump” fraud. ??
        I’m the U. S. Attorney General investigating the Madoofs and Wilpons and I approve this message.

• dickclydesdale - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Pissing away serious cash by the Mutts! This fool David Wright is not even an impact player.
      Ike Davis is more of a power threat with the bat.
      For those that say this was a must have P.R. signing just see how the Joe Mauer’s last place Twins are doing.

2. jayscarpa - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Nice deal for Mets. I didn’t think they had it in them.

3. chill1184 - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:18 AM

(derp) but da metz are broke! (derp)

hez ovarated!

Why didnt they resign Ray-ass? Waz it becauze he wazn’t white???

Etc, etc, etc

– retarded HBT trolls

Happy that monkey is now off the back, now Alderson needs to get a deal done with Dickey and rebuild the damm outfield.

4. mrfloydpink - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:19 AM

More significant than “Marvelous” Marv Throneberry? I think not.

• heyblueyoustink - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:28 AM

My first thought on this comment ( which may not be the clearest given i’ve been up for all of fifteen minutes and got into a fight with some single malt last eve ) is that the only athlete whom I can accept as calling themselves “marvelous” without me laughing at them is Marvin Hagler.

5. indaburg - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I read elsewhere that this is the biggest contract in team history, surpassing Johan Santana’s. Is this a sign that the Mets are more financially sound than previously thought?

• proudlycanadian - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I doubt it. I suspect that the next owner will have to pay most of the money.

• sdelmonte - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Backloading. Either SNY will become the cash cow I thought it would be already by then, or the Wilpons will be gone and someone else will pay.

6. kvanhorn87 - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM

That is a solid deal for both sides. I am sure Wright would not have taken a back loaded deal. What is more offensive? 5 for 100 or 8 for 138?

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Nov 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Lower AAV, but that is an extra guaranteed $38MM for years in his later 30s

7. temporarilyexiled - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:33 AM

A great deal for both sides – and for the sake of both sides – I hope DW stays healthy.

8. paperlions - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM

but but but….lowballing and insincere offers, etc.

The Mets have to maintain some level of competence….their money maker is their stake in SNY and they need to keep people interested enough to watch to keep ad revenues up. That’s just smart business. I am also willing to be that the contract is backloaded, includes a non-trivial amount of deferred money, or both….which would also be a smart move on their part (if true).

9. paperlions - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:58 AM

And so the thinning of an already thin 2014 FA class continues….

10. novanation33 - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Fair offer for both sides. It was a deal that the Mets needed to get done.

11. fissels - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:21 AM

As a former Mets fan, I’m happy for David. He is a stand up guy who gives his all every game. There should be more players like him.
    However, the Mets organization and ownership leave a lot to be desired. I hope they can find a way to put a quality team around him.

12. sdelmonte - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:28 AM

At long last, Wright signs, and Mets Borough – smaller by far than Red Sox Nation or Yankees Universe, but a nice commute to the ballpark – can smile.

Or at least I can.

13. xmatt0926x - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:37 AM

The value of the signing depends on what they do in the very near future. I keep hearing that they had to sign Wright to keep some interest in the team or to keep some form of relevancy. If they aren’t ready to seriously rebuild and compete in the next couple years then all you have is Joe Mauer in Minnesota. Having one star on a bad team is not interesting or relevant. I guess it’s all in what you want as a fan. For me , if it becomes clear that my team was not going to be financially capable of competing in the next few years than I’d rather watch a bad team with blue chip prospects play and potentially get better and grow with the team than have an 80 win team treading water for 3 years with one superstar. We shall see.

14. samurai3939 - Nov 30, 2012 at 10:12 AM

A good deal for both sides? Not for wright. Now he is stuck with that joke of a team. I guess money was more important that winning for him.

• tuberippin - Nov 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Or, you know, the prestige and accolades gained from playing for one team your entire career in the free-agency era.

15. blockedshotnyr - Nov 30, 2012 at 10:21 AM

This was the deal that needed to be made – the Dickey deal – either way he should not be on the team passed the trade deadline, but I prefer to deal him now for a couple of pieces.

While I doubt David is productive until the age of 37 – this is a good faith deal the Mets had to make for their fans and it’s not a terrible baseball decsion either as locking in a franchise player can now lead to plkacing the pieces around him (attracting free agents will be easier with David than without once the young the pitching comes up).

R.A. – every Met fan loves him, but in the best interest of the franchise Alderson has got to call around and make a deal here IMO. Get an MLB ready bat and another prospect and move on. You want your young starters in place for when you make a run at this thing, but they’ll be useless without the bats behind them.

16. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Nov 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Am I the only one who thinks Josh Hamilton would be a good fit on this team? Elite talent (albeit with question marks), shorter deal than any other elite talent would require (because of said question marks) and would really go a long way toward making amends with the fan base. I don’t think the Mets have a single OF locked up for next year, so there is certainly a need as well. 4 year/$100MM?? 5/$120? A team in NYC should not balk at that kind of deal.

17. mojosmagic - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM

A deal that had to get done. Think if they hadn’t and he goes next year and signs with the Phillies. Unacceptable.

18. randygnyc - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Sabathia- the last place in the world Hamilton should sign is in NYC. He should be in a hermetically sealed bubble. A big city team should avoid him like the plague.

19. kappy32 - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:40 PM

THANK GOD!!! I would’ve had a lot of useless jerseys if this didn’t happen. Mets fans who oppose this are stupid. Let me guess… Trade him for more “prospects”? Yeah, sure, trade a proven star for unknown commodities. Also, the Mets have a great track record when it comes to prospects panning out. How about we now trade Harvey or Wheeler & some other unknown prospects for Stanton? Then we’ll be in business.

20. kappy32 - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:43 PM

RandyGNYC:

Are recovering drug addicts & alcoholics not allowed to be sober in NY? Is it impossible? I don’t think so. I live in NY & I’ve been sober 3.5 years, still going one day at a time.

• jimeejohnson - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Randy’s sophisticated when it comes to baseball but narrow minded when it comes to life, like all Conservative right wingers. Empathy and understanding is not their way, especially those who live in NY City, a.k.a. Arrogant-ville.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic