Nov 30, 2012, 9:11 AM EDT
God love the New York Post. They got a paparazzi photo of Derek Jeter not looking his best yesterday, and ran it with the headline “Derek Jeter packing on the pounds during recovery.” It ain’t exactly newsworthy, but it’s fun and I’m pretty OK with fun being the threshold for most things sports-related, especially on November 30.
But let’s be fair, folks: the dude has a broken leg and can’t put any weight on it, so it’s not like he’s been able to log time on the treadmill. Given the guy’s history, there is no reason whatsoever to think that, the second he can be active, he’ll be in better shape than you and me and just about everyone else.
But at least you’ll have this picture to cheer you up a bit when Jeter beats your team by going 4 for 5 with two doubles or whatever next summer.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 0
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 43
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 22
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 19
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)