Nov 30, 2012, 9:01 PM EDT
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic passes along word that the Diamondbacks have expressed interest in free agent right-hander Brandon McCarthy. The D’Backs actually pursued McCarthy two years ago before he latched on with the A’s, though he’s obviously a different pitcher now than he was back then.
McCarthy posted a 3.24 ERA and 73/24 K/BB ratio over 111 innings with the A’s this season prior to being hit in the head by a line drive on September 5 and undergoing emergency brain surgery. The 29-year-old right-hander was cleared to resume baseball activities earlier this month and is slated to begin throwing in December.
Piecoro speculated about the possibility of McCarthy earlier this week and noted that Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers isn’t willing to go beyond two years for a starting pitcher. There are concerns about McCarthy’s history of shoulder issues, but he should be able to land a multi-year deal in this market.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 37
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 68
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 119
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (119)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)