Nov 30, 2012, 9:01 PM EDT
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic passes along word that the Diamondbacks have expressed interest in free agent right-hander Brandon McCarthy. The D’Backs actually pursued McCarthy two years ago before he latched on with the A’s, though he’s obviously a different pitcher now than he was back then.
McCarthy posted a 3.24 ERA and 73/24 K/BB ratio over 111 innings with the A’s this season prior to being hit in the head by a line drive on September 5 and undergoing emergency brain surgery. The 29-year-old right-hander was cleared to resume baseball activities earlier this month and is slated to begin throwing in December.
Piecoro speculated about the possibility of McCarthy earlier this week and noted that Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers isn’t willing to go beyond two years for a starting pitcher. There are concerns about McCarthy’s history of shoulder issues, but he should be able to land a multi-year deal in this market.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)