It turns out, Denard Span was born to play in Washington

Nov 30, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT

Twins throwback uniform

As a Twins fan I’ve always known Denard Span as being from Florida, but Amanda Comak of the Washington Times has the story of how the Nationals’ new center fielder was actually born in Washington, D.C.:

“I don’t think (my mom, Wanda Wilson) planned on having me in Washington, D.C.,” Span said Thursday with a brief laugh. “I think she’d planned on having me in Fort Lauderdale. I ended up just popping out early.”

Wilson, who attended college in the District, was visiting family when she was pregnant with Span. Span said his uncle had lived in D.C. for over 20 years. She was planning on the trip to be nothing more than that, but Wilson went into labor and Span will have D.C. on his birth certificate for eternity.

I wrote a really long article about the Span trade from the Twins’ perspective, but the Nationals’ version is this: Span is a very good all-around player and a helluva guy who combines good on-base skills with plus defense at an up-the-middle position. Washington is going to love him and the fact that he was born there probably won’t hurt, either.

1. nolanwiffle - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Welcome home, Denard!

2. kkolchak - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Yep–look forward to seeing you frequently next season, Denard. :D

3. natslady - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Went to Target Field in 2011 to see Span play (August 6) after he didn’t get traded on July 31. I was at the Nats vs. Mets game where Storen got a standing O when he wasn’t traded and I was curious about the other guy.

It was White Sox vs. Twins, Adam Dunn was at 1B, making misplays and striking out. Span was in CF, didn’t get any hits but got on base and stole second. Ran around very energetically and made a good play. Didn’t seem like a guy recovering from a concussion. I was impressed. Very glad he’s coming.

Welcome!

4. jessethegreat - Nov 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM

It’s time to get “Denarded” in Washington!

• kkolchak - Nov 30, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Better yet, now he’ll be “D-Span.” :)

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM

“Denarded?” That is a terrible.
      They might as well refer to themselves as the “Window lickers.”
      “Denarded?” Reall?

5. illogic87 - Nov 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

As a Twins fan I am not happy about this trade. Just another example of how the Pohlads are cheapskates

• mspauto - Nov 30, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Serves you Twin fans right after stealing the Senators back in 1960. Give me back Griffith Stadium and Bond Bread bakery smell as you walk to it!! Yeah, that’s what I’m talkin’ about!!

• illogic87 - Nov 30, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Ahole!

P.S. I love your city

• mazblast - Dec 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Minnesota didn’t “steal” the old Senators. Clark Griffith wanted out and Ford Frick gave him one.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Nov 30, 2012 at 3:10 PM

By this logic, Jeter was born to play for the Kalamazoo Kings!!

7. joeyashwi - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I’m a Twins fan but all the Twins are is a minor league team that drafts and develops players to thrive on other teams. Hunter, Lohse, Santana, Span, Cuddyer, Ortiz….They got their new stadium and now are cleaning house. They pay Mauer over a quarter of the team’s salary and wonder why they are losing close to one hundred games a year. Pathetic!

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3997)