It was important for David Wright to make more money than Johan Santana

Nov 30, 2012, 9:39 AM EDT

David Wright

One idea that was frequently mentioned during the David Wright negotiations, and which has been confirmed by some post-signing reports, is that it was very important for David Wright to make more money than Johan Santana‘s $137.5 million deal and thus become the highest-paid player in New York Mets history “out of pride.”

Which I suppose I understand on some level. What I don’t understand is why anyone would say such a thing to a reporter.  If you’re Wrights’ agents, don’t you worry about that making your guy look kind of petty and/or ego-driven? If you’re the Mets leaking that, aren’t you risking some amount of clubhouse harumphing by essentially telling one player that the other wanted to top him?

Probably not the biggest deal in the world. After I tweeted about all of this, wondering if it would be awkward, one of my tweeps made a very logical point:

Or, if Curacao is not for sale, they just have a money fight.

1. drunkenhooliganism - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I wonder if his bonus includes enough money to pay you to stop using that pic.

I hope not.

• cur68 - Nov 30, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Ditto

2. mybrunoblog - Nov 30, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Wright and Santana should pool their money and buy the team to provide Mets fans with ownership that is not the stumbling bumbling joke that the Meta organization has become.

3. greatdayfortwo - Nov 30, 2012 at 10:36 AM

So, it Wright’s deal is for $138M over 7 or 8 years and Johan’s deal was for $137.5M over 6 years, is Wright really “making more money” than Santana? Wright may never in his career see a single paycheck equal to what Johan has been receiving since 2008.

I thought I remember hearing a while back about Wright wanting a stake of ownership in the Mets. Did that desire get denied somewhere along the line? Even considering Wilpon’s problems, if I was Wright, I would have held out for a piece of that pie as well.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Ah, the old AAV Canard. Just remember that a player gets paid for the entirety of his contract no matter what happens. A distinction over exactly what the paycheck says every month or what you report to the IRS every year is a distinction that is valid only in your mind. Math doesn’t really care how you phrase it. Numbers are numbers.

Now, in terms of absolute monetary value Johan’s is probably still larger when you take inflation into account.

• schrutebeetfarms - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:18 PM

But if you look it from what will a player make in 7 years, Wright will make 138m. Santana will make $137.5 for the first 6 years and can sign any sort of deal and will make more over seven years than Wright. Using that math, Santana has the richer deal in my opinion.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM

That’s what my last line referred to. Numbers are numbers. Monetary value changes with time.

4. Francisco (FC) - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Probably not the biggest deal in the world.

Pun intended?

5. kkolchak - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM

“If you’re Wrights’ agents, don’t you worry about that making your guy look kind of petty and/or ego-driven?”

Well, it certainly worked for me. If that really was his motivation, he should have kept it to himself.

• thebadguyswon - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Yeah….he’s the first professional athlete ever driven by ego.

• kkolchak - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM

They all have egos–he was just dumb enough to let his show.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS