Nov 30, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
I missed this before, but Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt was on SiriusXm the other day talking about Hall of Fame voting. He thinks it’s time to change the voting procedures. You can hear his whole idea here. It won’t blockquote it because it’s kind of rambling, but here is the upshot of his comments:
- Getting voted in to the Hall of Fame is not just an honor, but it’s important to some players in terms of “subsidizing their current income.” This, I presume, refers to the very real notion that guys who are inducted can command much, much higher fees for autographed merch and appearances at baseball card shows and the like;
- The more recent players really don’t need the money like some of the other ones do;
- Writers often have personal grudges against players, have big problems with PEDs, etc., so maybe they shouldn’t vote on these guys;
- Instead, have the writers come up with a list of finalists for voting and then let a committee of current Hall of Famers make the final call.
Setting aside the idea that allowing current Hall of Famers vote is the reason why the old version of the Veterans Committee never elected anyone, does Schmidt not realize that his idea comes with an extreme conflict of interest?
Sure, the writers may have grudges and irrational ideas on some matters, but if you’re a current Hall of Famer, and you make a LOT of money selling yourself as a Hall of Famer — and notice that Schmidt says that before anything else — is it not in your best interest to ensure that there are far fewer Hall of Famers who might compete with you on the autograph circuit? Indeed, Schmidt’s seemingly random comment about some players not needing the money as much as others suggests that this is at the forefront of his mind.
Maybe he’s right that the voting system should be changed, but between the conflicts, the track record of the old Veteran’s Committee and the calcified “things were better in MY day” reasoning of a lot of former ballplayers, I think having them play a part in elections is the worst idea imaginable.
Aug 30, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
Baez batted just .169/.227/.324 and racked up a whopping 95 strikeouts in 52 games last season for the Cubs, but he’s made great strides with his plate approach this year on the farm and he could slide his way into regular playing time in Chicago if he hits well out of the gate.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Bryce Harper took some frustration out on a now-former bat of his Saturday night at Nationals Park …
Aug 30, 2015, 8:56 AM EDT
Your box scores and AP recaps from Saturday …
Aug 30, 2015, 12:03 AM EDT
A fan heckling Alex Rodriguez from the upper deck fell and died at Turner Field on Saturday night.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
The Royals will likely get Alex Gordon back when the calendar turns to September.
Aug 29, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT
Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon wants to keep Felix Hernandez fresh through the end of the season, so he’ll skip his ace’s start on Monday.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Gavin Floyd will pitch out of the bullpen for the Indians when he is activated on Tuesday.
Aug 29, 2015, 8:20 PM EDT
The Brewers pulled Francisco Rodriguez back after he was claimed on revocable waivers last week.
Aug 29, 2015, 7:28 PM EDT
The Mets have bolstered their bullpen, acquiring Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks.
Aug 29, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Lance Lynn hurt his right ankle in the eighth inning of Saturday’s start versus the Giants.
Aug 29, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Max Stassi will return to the majors as Jason Castro was placed on the disabled list on Saturday.
Aug 29, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
2016 will be Vin Scully’s last season behind the mic.
Aug 29, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Rzepczynski was just acquired by the Padres last month, but he could soon be on the move again.
Aug 29, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Encarnacion extended his hitting steak to 24 games and also drove in a career-high nine runs.
Aug 29, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
Kimbrel won’t be traded this season.
Aug 29, 2015, 3:57 PM EDT
Gose had a costly brain camp this afternoon against the Blue Jays.
Aug 29, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
Well done by the Trouts and the Angels.
Aug 29, 2015, 1:13 PM EDT
Mookie Betts and Mookie Wilson will meet Saturday afternoon at Citi Field.
Aug 29, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
Indians manager Terry Francona has the ability to opt out of his contract if team president Mark Shapiro or general manager Chris Antonetti were to leave the organization.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:36 AM EDT
Morneau has been out since May 13 with a concussion symptoms and a cervical neck strain.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 33
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 44
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)