Nov 30, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch has a fantastic and, at turns, hopeful, touching and sad story up today about former Cardinals outfielder Chris Duncan’s battle with a brain tumor.
Strauss — who is the exact opposite of a sentimental writer, for good and for bad — is the perfect guy for this kind of story. There is emotion in it and, coming through his filter, you know it is genuine. Highly recommended.
Human nature is such that we are always tempted to relate things to our own experiences. In this regard, I am reminded that I was on Duncan’s St. Louis radio show last year and had a wonderful time. Someone had told him about how my daughter decided that his brother Shelley was her favorite player, so we spent a long time talking about that. Not everyone likes hearing stories about someone else’s children, but Chris seemed genuinely tickled by it and loved the opportunity to take some good-natured shots at his brother.
Anyway, go read this story. And have some good thoughts for Chris Duncan.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)