Nov 30, 2012, 11:33 AM EST
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch has a fantastic and, at turns, hopeful, touching and sad story up today about former Cardinals outfielder Chris Duncan’s battle with a brain tumor.
Strauss — who is the exact opposite of a sentimental writer, for good and for bad — is the perfect guy for this kind of story. There is emotion in it and, coming through his filter, you know it is genuine. Highly recommended.
Human nature is such that we are always tempted to relate things to our own experiences. In this regard, I am reminded that I was on Duncan’s St. Louis radio show last year and had a wonderful time. Someone had told him about how my daughter decided that his brother Shelley was her favorite player, so we spent a long time talking about that. Not everyone likes hearing stories about someone else’s children, but Chris seemed genuinely tickled by it and loved the opportunity to take some good-natured shots at his brother.
Anyway, go read this story. And have some good thoughts for Chris Duncan.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)