Next week: The Winter Meetings

Nov 30, 2012, 5:45 PM EDT

Opryland Hotel

The next time you hear from me I’ll be blogging from Nashville, where the 2012 Winter Meetings will be held in the labyrinthine Gaylord Opryland Resort. I’ve been to that place before. It’s crazy big and confusing what with all of the fern-filled atria and gawking tourists. And, at this time of year, it’s festooned with more Chirstmas lights than that old lady’s down the block times a gajillion.

I may need to take some sort of medication in order to properly orient myself to the surroundings. But that’s my problem.

For your purposes, know that HardballTalk is going to do what it has done four Winter Meetings’ running: blog the living hell out of the thing, passing along every trade, signing, news nugget rumor, and stray observation that comes our way. I got a new phone this year too, so maybe my pictures won’t suck so bad too.  Just a whole lot to look forward to, really.

When Josh Hamilton or Zack Greinke signs, we’ll be on it. When Scott Boras says something so mind-blowingly ridiculous that it makes your eyes cross — my guess this year is some Michael Bourn/Willie Mays comp — we’ll let you know. We’ll be all around in the dark. We’ll be ever’-where – wherever you can look. Wherever there’s a fight so hungry people can eat, we’ll be there. Wherever there’s a cop beatin’ up a guy, we’ll be there, etc.

We hope you do this all the time, but starting, say, midday on Sunday, keep a window open with HBT, and refresh liberally. If you do, you won’t miss a thing.

1. cur68 - Nov 30, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Don’t fall in the fountain again.

• pjmitch - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Fall or alcohol induced, “I don’t give a crap” state?

• cur68 - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Bit difficult to say. What is unequivocal is that someone, a male, fell into a fountain, possibly while texting, possibly while drunk, during the Winter Meetings last year. But this one’s very much like Bagwell & Piazza on the PEDs, see? While some BBWAA members won’t vote for them due to lingering rumours & innuendo, there isn’t any evidence to indicate that those guys took PEDs. Likewise the guy in this video MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be Craig, but he can’t PROVE it isn’t, and he was there, and he is known to drink, and text, and he claims to be a little clumsy…hence we should assume that it IS him and urge him to be more careful.

• natstowngreg - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:33 PM

My money is on the former.

2. shynessismyelguapo - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Ahh, the Gaylord Opryland. I was there this summer for a higher-ed conference in which I overheard another higher-ed administrator, presumably from Wyoming and working for a very stupid college, say “We musta got a real good discount for the conference. Why, hotel like dis in dis big a city gotta be six…seven hundred a night normally!”

Craig, be sure to check out such fun sites as that one place right after you walk through the atrium that doesn’t judge you when you buy 2 giant cinnamon roles…each day…for three days straight. Or the cookie and desert place across the hall from the cinnamon role place that doesn’t judge you when you buy three cookies right after buying a cinnamon role from across the hall.

• shynessismyelguapo - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:56 PM

For those of you who lost count, I misspelled “roll” three times in that post.

• shynessismyelguapo - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:58 PM

…I also spelled “dessert” as “desert”.

• historiophiliac - Nov 30, 2012 at 7:13 PM

higher ed lol

3. proudlycanadian - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:50 PM

So who Designated Craig For this Assignment?

4. brewcrewfan54 - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Drinking rules.

5. weaselpuppy - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:08 PM

The bar by the ship makes a great Negroni…but a meh Sazerac…

6. hiker2424 - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Craig, they aren’t making ya mad-mean at msnbc.com? Thanks for your best Henry Fonda/Tom Joad routine. Ma would be proud.

Think Red Sox will attempt to sign Josh Hamilton? Why not Greinke?

• historiophiliac - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I don’t get the Tom Joad thing…

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet