Nov 30, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Karstens has been a decent back-of-the-rotation starter for Pittsburgh, throwing 535 innings with a 4.31 ERA, but he was limited to just 91 innings this year due to shoulder and hip injuries and the Pirates didn’t feel like paying him $4 million or more via arbitration.
At age 30 he should be able to land a big-league deal for a lesser salary, although that all depends on how his arm checks out medically.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)