Nov 30, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Karstens has been a decent back-of-the-rotation starter for Pittsburgh, throwing 535 innings with a 4.31 ERA, but he was limited to just 91 innings this year due to shoulder and hip injuries and the Pirates didn’t feel like paying him $4 million or more via arbitration.
At age 30 he should be able to land a big-league deal for a lesser salary, although that all depends on how his arm checks out medically.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)