Nov 30, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Karstens has been a decent back-of-the-rotation starter for Pittsburgh, throwing 535 innings with a 4.31 ERA, but he was limited to just 91 innings this year due to shoulder and hip injuries and the Pirates didn’t feel like paying him $4 million or more via arbitration.
At age 30 he should be able to land a big-league deal for a lesser salary, although that all depends on how his arm checks out medically.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 10
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)