Nov 30, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Karstens has been a decent back-of-the-rotation starter for Pittsburgh, throwing 535 innings with a 4.31 ERA, but he was limited to just 91 innings this year due to shoulder and hip injuries and the Pirates didn’t feel like paying him $4 million or more via arbitration.
At age 30 he should be able to land a big-league deal for a lesser salary, although that all depends on how his arm checks out medically.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 0
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)