Nov 30, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Karstens has been a decent back-of-the-rotation starter for Pittsburgh, throwing 535 innings with a 4.31 ERA, but he was limited to just 91 innings this year due to shoulder and hip injuries and the Pirates didn’t feel like paying him $4 million or more via arbitration.
At age 30 he should be able to land a big-league deal for a lesser salary, although that all depends on how his arm checks out medically.
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 10
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 10
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)