R.A. Dickey will accept a two-year extension

Nov 30, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

The issue with giving  a contract to R.A. Dickey has always been about the length of the commitment. He’s 38 and even if he is a knuckleballer, you just don’t want to go long on a 38 year-old athlete.

In light of this, however, it sounds like Dickey and the Mets may soon be able to get something done:

I don’t know how the Mets don’t do that.

1. billb09 - Nov 30, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Let’s go Mets!!

2. sdelmonte - Nov 30, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Alas, I can see ways they don’t.

But it would be hard even for Jeff Wilpon. And with Sandy A around, I won’t worry until we hear that it’s fallen through.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Nov 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Dickey left out that he wants more money than Santana and Wright…2 years/$138.5 million.

4. vansloot - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Certainly you want to be careful about going long on a 38 year-old athlete, but he’s also a knuckleballer (allbeit a “hard” knuckleballer). Tim Wakefield played until he was 44 and Phil Niekro played until he was 48.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM

It’s important to realize one major difference between those guys and Dickey is track record, though. R.A. has had three great seasons now, so he’s starting to put something together, but that’s his whole career. Both of the guys you mention had another 10 years of history on top of that by the time they were his age.

I guess my point is just that Dickey is less of a known quantity than either of those guys is all, so it’s hard to say his career will take a similar path. As a Mets fan, I’d like to think he’s got at least a few more years in that arm, though.

• kevinbnyc - Nov 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM

And by the end, Tim Wakefield was BRUTAL

5. Old Gator - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM

From what I know about Biggeth Dicketh, he might well be thinking that he’ll cash in solidly, play two more years and then settle back to enjoy his family. He doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who needs a steady supply of big toys.

6. edelmanfanclub - Nov 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

2 years for a Cy Young Pitcher. Sounds like a great deal to me. He’s probably going to regress, but for 10 million, I’m sure his regression won’t be bad enough that this deal will end up looking bad. Good signing for the Mets.

7. bluesoxbaseball - Nov 30, 2012 at 4:10 PM

If it’s just 2 years how will the Mets back-load the whole contract and defer all the money?

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3950)