Nov 30, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Ryan Ludwick turned down his half of a $5 million mutual option to become a free agent, but John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the 34-year-old outfielder has been talking to the Reds about re-signing.
Ludwick’s agent told Fay that they’re looking for “a multi-year deal” and added that he “has offers from other clubs” if Cincinnati isn’t willing to go make that sort of commitment to a mid-30s outfielder who was pretty bad in 2011 and mediocre in both 2009 and 2010.
This year he bounced back in a big way, hitting .275 with 26 homers in 125 games for an .877 OPS that was Ludwick’s highest since 2008.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)