Nov 30, 2012, 11:16 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Phillies, after losing the B.J. Upton sweepstakes to the Atlanta Braves, are pushing for another free-agent center fielder, according to major-league sources.
Two teams have made four-year offers to Pagan, sources say. Those teams are believed to be the Phillies and Pagan’s previous club, the World Series champion San Francisco Giants.
Rosenthal hears that the Phillies made a five-year, $55 million offer to Upton before he signed with the Braves for five years and $75.25 million and the sense is that Michael Bourn is going to fetch more. While four years for Pagan is a lot, signing him as opposed to Bourn would give the Phillies some flexibility to upgrade at third base and in the bullpen.
The Giants are clearly interested in bringing Pagan back, but it would be interesting to see what they do if the bidding gets out of hand. Bourn and Josh Hamilton are going to be very pricey, so Brian Sabean might have to get creative here. Hey, did you guys hear that Andres Torres is a free agent?
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 39
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 84
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)