Nov 30, 2012, 11:16 PM EST
The Philadelphia Phillies, after losing the B.J. Upton sweepstakes to the Atlanta Braves, are pushing for another free-agent center fielder, according to major-league sources.
Two teams have made four-year offers to Pagan, sources say. Those teams are believed to be the Phillies and Pagan’s previous club, the World Series champion San Francisco Giants.
Rosenthal hears that the Phillies made a five-year, $55 million offer to Upton before he signed with the Braves for five years and $75.25 million and the sense is that Michael Bourn is going to fetch more. While four years for Pagan is a lot, signing him as opposed to Bourn would give the Phillies some flexibility to upgrade at third base and in the bullpen.
The Giants are clearly interested in bringing Pagan back, but it would be interesting to see what they do if the bidding gets out of hand. Bourn and Josh Hamilton are going to be very pricey, so Brian Sabean might have to get creative here. Hey, did you guys hear that Andres Torres is a free agent?
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)