UPDATE: The Powerball/Kansas City Royals players’ numbers thing was a coincidence

Nov 30, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Royals logo

UPDATE: Darn it, too good to be true. Sam Mellinger has tweeted the winning ticket and it appears as though the numbers were a “quick pick,” meaning they were automatically generated (note the “QP” after the number).  Oh well. I guess it always was strange to think that a fan liked Mark Gubicza more than Brett Saberhagen.

10:30 AM: Not gonna lie. I bought a lottery ticket before that $580 million drawing the other day. This despite the fact that I am fully aware of the folly of doing so and the odds against winning. My reasoning is, at least when the jackpots get huge, that a few minutes of lottery fantasies are worth a buck or two. I’m not planning my life around winning a lottery and I don’t buy tickets that often, but it can be fun.

My problem, though, is that I don’t go all-in. I am aware of the randomness of it all, so I don’t pick my own numbers, I don’t believe any certain numbers have magic of significance to them and I don’t believe that any amount of superstition will help me win.  In light of this, however, I probably should re-think that approach:

One of the two Power Ball winners is from Dearborn, Missouri, about 30 minutes North of the Kansas City Metro area. The winning numbers? 5 (George Brett), 16 (Bo Jackson), 22 (Dennis Leonard), 23 (Mark Gubicza), 29 (Dan Quisenberry), and the power ball of 6 (Willie Wilson).

After taxes and discounting for present value the winner likely does not have enough money to buy the Royals himself. But I bet he’ll find a way to spend his millions more effectively than David Glass spends his.

1. skipperxc - Nov 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM

The biggest win for the Royals in almost thirty years!

• mattyflex - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Nice. I vowed that if I won the jackpot I would get with Mark Cuban and make an offer on the Royals.

2. koufaxmitzvah - Nov 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Poor guy deserves the money.

3. chill1184 - Nov 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Thats pretty cool

4. jeremysgordon - Nov 30, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Wait, he went with Mark Gubicza over Bret Saberhagen? How is that possible?

• Detroit Michael - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Besides, everyone knows that Willie Wilson has no power. Good thing he didn’t pick Steve Balboni’s uniform number as the powerball.

5. pauleee - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I did something similar in ’86 with hockey jerseys I had. If only Dave Babych had come through. :(

• sandpiperair - Nov 30, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Whalers fan? Number 44, right? I assume you also went with 10 for Francis and 11 for Dineen.

6. ktourek - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Meanwhile, David Glass is somewhere saying, ‘Whoa, hey, what the heck Craig?’

7. muskyhunter2542 - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:27 AM

He is a Royals fan…. He defiantly needs the money.
    Ive seen the move winters bone

• mattyflex - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Winter’s Bone took place outside of Nixa, Missouri which is about 3 hours southeast of KC.

• muskyhunter2542 - Nov 30, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Still some pretty f’d up stuff in that area

8. sdelmonte - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Hey, 15 and 23 were among the winning numbers. But I didn’t play because Powerball doesn’t go up to 42.

(If you aren’t a Lost fan, this makes no sense to you. And if you, it might still make no sense to you.)

9. geoknows - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:34 AM

This has in no way been confirmed. Somebody from the Kansas City media, noting that the winner was from close to Kansas City, said “I wonder what Royals wore those numbers.” A list was constructed and the media ran with it. 23 could just as easily be Zack Greinke as Mark Gubicza.

• nolanwiffle - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:02 PM

ProFootballTalk is reporting that his favorite Chiefs are: Connor Barth (#5), Len Dawson (#16), Dexter McCluster (#22), Bert Coan (#23), Albert Lewis (#29), and Warren McVea (#6).

True story…….maybe.

10. irishdodger - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Maybe if Glass would invest the profit sharing revenue he receives as a small market team back into their roster, they could compete. Instead he prefers to pocket the coin. Quit running your sports team like a Fortune 500 company. Build a winner…then the revenue & value will skyrocket. I’m tired of small mkt teams screaming poverty while they pocket this revenue instead of investing in their team. The Twins owner is one of the wealthiest in the MLB…but he won’t invest in his team. The fans are getting screwed.

11. Old Gator - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Come on Craig – print the legend.

12. 78mu - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I seem to remember the stories on the winning tickets were both picked by the computer. And the list of favorite players should have been a clue.

No Saberhagen? Only the best pitcher in the team’s history. But the real tip-off should have been the absence of the guy with the franchise’s greatest nickname – Bye Bye Balboni.

13. sparty0n - Nov 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM