Nov 30, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
UPDATE: Darn it, too good to be true. Sam Mellinger has tweeted the winning ticket and it appears as though the numbers were a “quick pick,” meaning they were automatically generated (note the “QP” after the number). Oh well. I guess it always was strange to think that a fan liked Mark Gubicza more than Brett Saberhagen.
10:30 AM: Not gonna lie. I bought a lottery ticket before that $580 million drawing the other day. This despite the fact that I am fully aware of the folly of doing so and the odds against winning. My reasoning is, at least when the jackpots get huge, that a few minutes of lottery fantasies are worth a buck or two. I’m not planning my life around winning a lottery and I don’t buy tickets that often, but it can be fun.
My problem, though, is that I don’t go all-in. I am aware of the randomness of it all, so I don’t pick my own numbers, I don’t believe any certain numbers have magic of significance to them and I don’t believe that any amount of superstition will help me win. In light of this, however, I probably should re-think that approach:
One of the two Power Ball winners is from Dearborn, Missouri, about 30 minutes North of the Kansas City Metro area. The winning numbers? 5 (George Brett), 16 (Bo Jackson), 22 (Dennis Leonard), 23 (Mark Gubicza), 29 (Dan Quisenberry), and the power ball of 6 (Willie Wilson).
After taxes and discounting for present value the winner likely does not have enough money to buy the Royals himself. But I bet he’ll find a way to spend his millions more effectively than David Glass spends his.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 50
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 69
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)