Nov 30, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Schlereth was the Diamondbacks’ first-round pick in 2008 and went to the Tigers in the big three-team deal with the Yankees involving Curtis Granderson, Max Scherzer, Ian Kennedy, Austin Jackson, Edwin Jackson, and Phil Coke in December of 2009.
He tossed 49 innings with a 3.49 ERA for the Tigers in 2011, but that came with an ugly 44/31 K/BB ratio and this year Schlereth got knocked around before missing most of the season with shoulder problems.
Schlereth wasn’t even arbitration eligible yet and would have earned close to the minimum salary for 2013, so this move is purely about the Tigers not thinking he’s worth keeping on the 40-man roster at age 27.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)