Tigers non-tender reliever Daniel Schlereth

Nov 30, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT

daniel-schlereth-tigers

Detroit has non-tendered left-handed reliever Daniel Schlereth, Jason Beck of MLB.com reports.

Schlereth was the Diamondbacks’ first-round pick in 2008 and went to the Tigers in the big three-team deal with the Yankees involving Curtis Granderson, Max Scherzer, Ian Kennedy, Austin Jackson, Edwin Jackson, and Phil Coke in December of 2009.

He tossed 49 innings with a 3.49 ERA for the Tigers in 2011, but that came with an ugly 44/31 K/BB ratio and this year Schlereth got knocked around before missing most of the season with shoulder problems.

Schlereth wasn’t even arbitration eligible yet and would have earned close to the minimum salary for 2013, so this move is purely about the Tigers not thinking he’s worth keeping on the 40-man roster at age 27.

1. sykose - Nov 30, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Reblogged this on Sykose.

• tuberippin - Nov 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM

NO ONE CARES

2. historiophiliac - Nov 30, 2012 at 2:44 PM

If I start updating you on info put out on Twitter by the @Tigers, can I get credit like Jason Beck?

3. brewcrewfan54 - Nov 30, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Go after him Brew Crew.

• brewcrewfan54 - Nov 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Why the thumbs down? Its a potential low risk high reward at a position the Brewers need to upgrade. Get him into camp and if he plays well keep him if he doesn’t he gets released and it likely wouldn’t have cost them much.

• gostlcards5 - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I agree with you, bcf54. I was going to say the same thing about the Cardinals, who are also in play for LH relief. It’s a cheap option, with low-risk, high-reward potential.

• brewcrewfan54 - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Thank you Cards. I thought it made sense to.

• 2dmo4 - Dec 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM

All of you guys saying to pick him up obviously haven’t seen him pitch. The guy is absolutely horrendous. One of the worst left handers I have seen pitch in the last few years.

The reason why Leyland pretty much only used him when the games were out of hand.

• tebowspeech - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:50 PM

So I take it you’ve never seen this guy pitch. He is THE WORST – there’s a reason the Tigers aren’t keeping him on the 40 man.

• brewcrewfan54 - Nov 30, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I didn’t say give him a 10 year contract for $150 million. I said get him for cheap and bring him to camp. I don’t see what is so bad or hard to understand about it.

4. barrywhererufrom - Nov 30, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Joe Rogers!

5. sunking1 - Nov 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM

He’s a lefty. At 27 yrs old and at near the MLB minimum, he will land on somebody’s roster

6. sparty0n - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Good…. now lets go out and sign another high priced outfielder….. Who needs pitching anyway?

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto