Dec 1, 2012, 1:29 PM EST
The Brewers announced this afternoon that they have acquired right-hander Burke Badenhop from the Rays in exchange for minor league outfielder Raul Mondesi, Jr.
Badenhop, who turns 30 in February, posted a solid 3.03 ERA and 42/12 K/BB ratio over 62 1/3 innings out the Rays’ bullpen this past season. With a career ground ball rate of 55.3 percent, he should be a nice fit in the middle innings for the Brewers. He earned $1.075 million in 2012 and is arbitration-eligible for the third time this winter.
Mondesi, the 20-year-old son of former major league outfielder Raul Mondesi, has a .243/.305/.371 batting line and a .675 OPS over his first three seasons in pro ball. He’s not as highly regarded as his 17-year-old brother Adalberto Mondesi, who got a $2 million bonus from the Royals last summer. Yes, mark this down as the latest thing that makes everyone feel as old as dirt.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)