Dec 1, 2012, 1:29 PM EDT
The Brewers announced this afternoon that they have acquired right-hander Burke Badenhop from the Rays in exchange for minor league outfielder Raul Mondesi, Jr.
Badenhop, who turns 30 in February, posted a solid 3.03 ERA and 42/12 K/BB ratio over 62 1/3 innings out the Rays’ bullpen this past season. With a career ground ball rate of 55.3 percent, he should be a nice fit in the middle innings for the Brewers. He earned $1.075 million in 2012 and is arbitration-eligible for the third time this winter.
Mondesi, the 20-year-old son of former major league outfielder Raul Mondesi, has a .243/.305/.371 batting line and a .675 OPS over his first three seasons in pro ball. He’s not as highly regarded as his 17-year-old brother Adalberto Mondesi, who got a $2 million bonus from the Royals last summer. Yes, mark this down as the latest thing that makes everyone feel as old as dirt.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)