Dec 1, 2012, 1:29 PM EST
The Brewers announced this afternoon that they have acquired right-hander Burke Badenhop from the Rays in exchange for minor league outfielder Raul Mondesi, Jr.
Badenhop, who turns 30 in February, posted a solid 3.03 ERA and 42/12 K/BB ratio over 62 1/3 innings out the Rays’ bullpen this past season. With a career ground ball rate of 55.3 percent, he should be a nice fit in the middle innings for the Brewers. He earned $1.075 million in 2012 and is arbitration-eligible for the third time this winter.
Mondesi, the 20-year-old son of former major league outfielder Raul Mondesi, has a .243/.305/.371 batting line and a .675 OPS over his first three seasons in pro ball. He’s not as highly regarded as his 17-year-old brother Adalberto Mondesi, who got a $2 million bonus from the Royals last summer. Yes, mark this down as the latest thing that makes everyone feel as old as dirt.
- Report: Giants close to acquiring Casey McGehee from Marlins 4
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)