Dec 1, 2012, 1:29 PM EDT
The Brewers announced this afternoon that they have acquired right-hander Burke Badenhop from the Rays in exchange for minor league outfielder Raul Mondesi, Jr.
Badenhop, who turns 30 in February, posted a solid 3.03 ERA and 42/12 K/BB ratio over 62 1/3 innings out the Rays’ bullpen this past season. With a career ground ball rate of 55.3 percent, he should be a nice fit in the middle innings for the Brewers. He earned $1.075 million in 2012 and is arbitration-eligible for the third time this winter.
Mondesi, the 20-year-old son of former major league outfielder Raul Mondesi, has a .243/.305/.371 batting line and a .675 OPS over his first three seasons in pro ball. He’s not as highly regarded as his 17-year-old brother Adalberto Mondesi, who got a $2 million bonus from the Royals last summer. Yes, mark this down as the latest thing that makes everyone feel as old as dirt.
Nov 1, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Rios became a free agent for the first time in his career yesterday after the Rangers declined his $13.5 million club option for 2015.
Nov 1, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Yost said the procedure is “absolutely nothing to worry about” and that he plans to take extra precaution next spring and use a lot of sunscreen.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
The Angels are expected to address their pitching needs by making Howie Kendrick or David Freese available in a trade.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Veteran lefty Jeff Francis has agreed to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training with the Blue Jays.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
The Blue Jays will exercise a $6.7 million club option on J.A. Happ for the 2015 season.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Twins prospect Byron Buxton had surgery on Thursday to repair a dislocated middle finger on his left hand.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Nick Markakis is a free agent after the Orioles declined their half of a $17.5 million mutual option for the 2015 season.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Pablo Sandoval says he wants to retire a Giant. He’s a free agent and is expected to sign a lengthy, expensive contract.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
Chad Billingsley is now a free agent after the Dodgers declined their club option for the 2015 season.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Colby Lewis will test free agency after he and the Rangers couldn’t strike a deal.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Madison Bumgarner’s post-season performance prompted Jockey to make underwear with “Mad Bum” on the backside, a special gift to Giants fans at Friday’s World Series parade in San Francisco.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
This season Hawkins became one of 16 pitchers in MLB history with 1,000 or more appearances and if healthy he’ll move into the top 10 next season.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
But will he accept it?
Oct 31, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Rios is now a free agent coming off a season in which he hit .280 with four homers and a .709 OPS in 131 games.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The end of this awkward, orchestrated process is in sight.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
He’ll be eligible for free agency next offseason at age 34.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Both players will reject the offers.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Here we go.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Dirks missed the entire season following back surgery and then a hamstring injury.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Go O.D. on some hot trolley action.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 41
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 73
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 26
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 132
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 32
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 110
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 89
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (132)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (112)