Brian Wilson isn’t happy with the Giants

Dec 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

Giants Wilson Baseball AP

Brian Wilson was the most noteworthy name among those who were non-tendered last night. There’s still a chance he could return to the Giants at a discounted rate, but Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that his tenure in San Francisco is almost certainly over.

The Giants technically can negotiate a lower-priced, incentive-rich deal with Wilson now that he is a free agent, but multiple sources said the 30-year-old right-hander is upset about the Giants’ stance and has told people he will sign elsewhere.

Wilson made an $8.5 million salary this past season and the Giants weren’t willing to offer him the minimum guarantee of $6.8 million through arbitration coming off his second Tommy John surgery. While Wilson apparently took issue with that, it was an understandable decision from a business perspective, as the Giants’ bullpen is already pretty expensive and $6.8 million is a lot to guarantee to a reliever, especially one who is still rehabbing from surgery.

Wilson figures to land a deal similar in structure to Ryan Madson‘s one-year contract with the Angels, which includes a $3.5 million base salary and $3.5 million in possible incentives based on days spent on the roster and games finished. The Dodgers and Red Sox have been mentioned as two possible landing spots.

1. illadelphiasphinest - Dec 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Shave the beard. It’s not cool anymore. Second thought I don’t think it ever was cool. More like a cry for attention. Look at me I have a thick beard that I dye black. Look, look I’m quirky and cool. Yea, not so much…

• Old Gator - Dec 1, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Right. He should go find a bunch of guys who all dress alike and follow them around and do what they do and behave the same way. Great. What a fascinating little world you must inhabit.

• 4d3fect - Dec 1, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Gator, I’d rather just cut off the soles of my shoes, sit in a tree, and learn to play the flute.

• stex52 - Dec 1, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Porgy!! Mudhead!! Where have you guys been all these years?

• stex52 - Dec 1, 2012 at 10:07 PM

That’s what I used to tell people I was going to do when I graduated from college.

• Old Gator - Dec 1, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Or we could go pick up a couple of girls.

• lostsok - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:39 AM

He should wear a fanny pack and white socks with black sneakers to complete the affect.

• xmatt0926x - Dec 1, 2012 at 4:24 PM

illadelphiasphinest, I tend to fall more on your side on that. I am with Old Gator in that I like a truly free spirit who goes his own way and doesn’t need to conform, but Brian Wilson has always struck me more as a “look at me, I’m zany!” kind of guy. There’s a difference between someone who is different and someone who has to keep reminding you that they are different. None of us knows for sure what this guy is really like but that’s the impression I’ve always gotten from his act.

• historiophiliac - Dec 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I’d take his eccentricity over Hamilton’s any day.

• lostsok - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM

I’m all for individualism, but that beard is just…gross. And phony looking.

• lostsok - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM

I’m all for individualism, but that beard is just…gross. And phony looking.

• Old Gator - Dec 2, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I duno. Looks like a real beard to me. I should know, having one of my own.

Those eybrows, though, are obviously paste-ons.

2. go49ers - Dec 1, 2012 at 12:44 PM

C’mon B-Weezy, re-sign with the Giants. Giant fans was missing your presence in 2012 & looking forward for your triumph return in 2013!

3. smcgaels1997 - Dec 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM

He got paid 8.5 million to throw 56 pitches last year. That’s 150k per pitch and he’d upset at their stance? They’ve paid him well for 4 years, 2 of those he missed serious time…guess he’s not as smart as he like to act if he doesn’t get that

• anxovies - Dec 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM

So let’s say you have a serious injury at work, a company car hits you or a piece of machinery falls on you, and you are out for a year and go through serious physical training to get back to where it looks like you can work again soon, and you go see your employer about getting your old job back. Your employer says “we can’t use you right now but don’t take another job because maybe we will take you back later at a fraction of your old salary.” Of course you are going to jump on that deal with no hard feelings because you are such a loyal guy. Yeah, right.

• smcgaels1997 - Dec 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Is a nice story and scenereo if it was at all like what actually happened

4. allaboutthisguy - Dec 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM

It’s not 2010…feel free to shave

5. barroomhero80 - Dec 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Who cares

6. hieronymous27 - Dec 1, 2012 at 1:09 PM

If the Dodgers want him he will sign with L.A. in order to get as many opportunities as he can to stick it to the Giants. His ego is that big.

7. smcgaels1997 - Dec 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM

What will be funny is when he signs in LA for 10 million and throws 1 pitch then is done..Giant fans aren’t worried about facing him..he’s just as likely to walk them than get the save

• kingscourt25 - Dec 1, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I’m not a Giants fan, but I wouldn’t want a motivated former closer on my division rival

• smcgaels1997 - Dec 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

We would shen hes hurt again and eating up their salary

• loungefly74 - Dec 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM

exactly. if he leaves…please go to the AL.

oh…and the Beard is cool. i hear a lot griping about his look. i am 100% sure BW doesnt give a rats arse what you think. that also makes him cool.

one more thing, as a Giants fan…i was super happy to have Wilson on our team. He was exciting and fun to watch. Being eclectic is always better when you end up winning. Good for BW.

8. alexo0 - Dec 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM

“Dudes, come on. I’ve been the face of this franchise throughout this dynasty. I cheered so hard for us this last year. Didn’t you constantly see me on FOX or read about me on ESPN? You can’t do this to me. I’m black ops!”

9. gosuhgo - Dec 1, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Discount contract to the Tigers. Get it done Dombrowski.

10. smcgaels1997 - Dec 1, 2012 at 1:44 PM

————————————————————————————————————————————-
    Nowhere close to the situation. Brian Wilson for 4 years had hidden injuries from the team that led to major issues. His ‘tough guy’ act created his situation. They paid him 8.5 million while not playing in 2012….56 pitches thrown all year thats 150k per pitch. He is not victim. They came to him to work out a incentive laden deal..you know the one Madsen just got and hes offended. Regardless of the ‘past’, that was the right baseball decision. Hes now the primadonna whoses ‘upset’ at how things were handled. Upset?? Seriously? 2 Tommy John surgeries and they are concerned to pay you minimum 6.8 million and your upset at them? Nice, been gone 1 day and hes already creating imagined drama to pump himself up for next year.

11. smcgaels1997 - Dec 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM

See how far your act goes outside of SF..as well as the beard

12. sisqsage - Dec 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

For all of his goofiness, I always thought Wilson had a high IQ and was well-read. So his stance on this is a little perplexing. Two surgeries on one arm means no 6.8 mil until you prove you are all the way back. I haven’t heard of two many success stories after TWO Tommy John surgeries. A pitcher’s arm can take only so much. Grow up and take the deal that Madsen got. It would be stupid for any team to offer more than what Madsen got. But then again the Dodgers did take an injured outfielder with a huge contract off the Sox’s hands who couldn’t even play last year.

• lostsok - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:44 AM

The Dodgers gambled on Crawford, yes, but only to ensure they got Adrian Gonzalez. In addition to his potential offensively and defensively…he is a great market draw for the area. Rolling the dice on Crawford–just like Beckett–was a secondary consideration.

The Dodgers simply don’t care at this point of they waste some money. When you make a 2 billion dollar investment, you don’t quibble over a couple million here and there when you need to make is successful as soon as possible.

And…if LA were not showing that kind of commitment and attitude…would Fox be handing them a massive blank check?

• Old Gator - Dec 2, 2012 at 1:06 AM

A high IQ and substantial literacy is no guarantee of maturity.

Take me, for instance….

13. iamjimmyjack - Dec 1, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I read a SF Chronicle journalist say that Wilson personality fits LA better than SF. What a joke. This guy is just weird like most San Franciscans. If Wilson thinks he can come to LA and be a cheerleader for 6 million, hes wrong. Or if he wants to play for the Dodgers to get back at the Giants for “lowballing” him, then he needs to grow up. After Uribe, the Dodgers are done signing ex Giants. There is way better options for the new ownership than some washed up 2X tommy john recipient.

• whitlockd - Dec 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Was Uribe the final straw? They should have learned after Jason Schmidt.

I’ll miss Willy’s personality, but he’s not a great pitcher. Take a look at the numbers or think of all the Tums you needed when watching him close out games in the past. The Giants would be better served spending their money elsewhere or on another bullpen arm at a lesser price.

14. mute617 - Dec 1, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Wilson & Ax could be a great 8th & 9th combo

15. vanmorrissey - Dec 1, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Who cares? He’s in no position to argue since they won the WS without him, why bring him back? Let him do whatever the heck he wants, proven this year they did not need him.

16. mqcarpenter - Dec 1, 2012 at 2:33 PM

you made a mint while recovering. and by the way the won the world series while you did. the giants did the right thing

17. go49ers - Dec 1, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Points well taken. I didn’t mention the Giants should or shouldnt pay him 6-8mil. All I said, prior to all this – we were looking forward to his return. At least I was.

Looking ahead, I think Wilson should take the pay cut / incentive deal because I’m sure if it wasn’t for his 2nd T.J. surgery…they would’ve paid the guy and make both parties happy.

18. sportsnut101 - Dec 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM

This the giant way move on u got 2 rings well paid

I’m sure u will find job

19. brewcrewfan54 - Dec 1, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Hey Brian, welcome back to reality.

20. jjpileggi - Dec 1, 2012 at 3:24 PM

It can be a tough business sometimes.

John Pileggi

21. djjackson81 - Dec 1, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Again who cares. Here ya go Red Sox

22. historiophiliac - Dec 1, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Damn, there’s a bunch of haters on here today. You Giants fans act like he Valverded you or something and he did not. Also, your conceit that he gives a crap what you think about how he looks is laughable. I think the unitard proved that he does NOT care what you think. But, I love how you mean boys get so nasty over a beard. And when did SF corner the market on odd personalities? There’s strange dudes on other teams. I don’t know when personality became such a big handicap but ok. It sounds like it’s best for him to move on anyway, since the fanbase is so obnoxious. If he came back & won, though, you’d all be singing his praises again. What a difference a couple of years makes, I guess.

23. fat4jc - Dec 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Thinking about this from a business perspective, this guy in a weird way, is kinda like Tebow. He’s going to sell tickets, merchandise, etc. Teams are looking at B-Weezy not just for his on the field contributions. I’m willing to be someone offers him 1/$4mil, maybe even more.

24. joerymi - Dec 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Tigers would be a nice fit. It is unlikely they will overpay for Soriano, and they are going to want a stop-gap if they are willing to put a rookie in the closing spot. Weak division, great shot a title.

• historiophiliac - Dec 1, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Would it be unseemly to try to recruit him via Twitter? :)

25. dirtydrew - Dec 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

He will go back to the Giants. Going to LA would just insure he is done.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB