Dec 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
Brian Wilson was the most noteworthy name among those who were non-tendered last night. There’s still a chance he could return to the Giants at a discounted rate, but Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that his tenure in San Francisco is almost certainly over.
The Giants technically can negotiate a lower-priced, incentive-rich deal with Wilson now that he is a free agent, but multiple sources said the 30-year-old right-hander is upset about the Giants’ stance and has told people he will sign elsewhere.
Wilson made an $8.5 million salary this past season and the Giants weren’t willing to offer him the minimum guarantee of $6.8 million through arbitration coming off his second Tommy John surgery. While Wilson apparently took issue with that, it was an understandable decision from a business perspective, as the Giants’ bullpen is already pretty expensive and $6.8 million is a lot to guarantee to a reliever, especially one who is still rehabbing from surgery.
Wilson figures to land a deal similar in structure to Ryan Madson‘s one-year contract with the Angels, which includes a $3.5 million base salary and $3.5 million in possible incentives based on days spent on the roster and games finished. The Dodgers and Red Sox have been mentioned as two possible landing spots.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 34
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (88)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)