Dec 1, 2012, 7:03 PM EST
The Cardinals’ most glaring need this offseason is a reliable left-handed reliever. And it appears they’ve begun to seriously consider the available options.
According to MLB.com Nationals beat writer Bill Ladson, the Cards have expressed interest recently in free agent southpaw Sean Burnett, who posted 2.38 ERA in 56 2/3 innings this past summer for Washington while holding left-handed batters to a measly .211/.245/.289 batting line. He has a cool 3.58 career ERA in six-plus major league seasons.
Ladson says Burnett, who turned 30 years old in September, is looking for a four-year contract. It’s not the Cardinals’ style to dish out long-term deals to relievers and it’s hard to see them making an exception here. But they’ll be ready to pounce on the Dunedin, Florida native if his asking price should drop.
UPDATE, 8:29 PM: Burnett’s agent told MLB Trade Rumors that his client is not looking for a four-year contract. “We are not seeking a four-year deal and it’s crazy to hear such rumors out there,” said the agent.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 120
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 19
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 213
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (212)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)