Dec 1, 2012, 7:03 PM EDT
The Cardinals’ most glaring need this offseason is a reliable left-handed reliever. And it appears they’ve begun to seriously consider the available options.
According to MLB.com Nationals beat writer Bill Ladson, the Cards have expressed interest recently in free agent southpaw Sean Burnett, who posted 2.38 ERA in 56 2/3 innings this past summer for Washington while holding left-handed batters to a measly .211/.245/.289 batting line. He has a cool 3.58 career ERA in six-plus major league seasons.
Ladson says Burnett, who turned 30 years old in September, is looking for a four-year contract. It’s not the Cardinals’ style to dish out long-term deals to relievers and it’s hard to see them making an exception here. But they’ll be ready to pounce on the Dunedin, Florida native if his asking price should drop.
UPDATE, 8:29 PM: Burnett’s agent told MLB Trade Rumors that his client is not looking for a four-year contract. “We are not seeking a four-year deal and it’s crazy to hear such rumors out there,” said the agent.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)