Dec 1, 2012, 7:03 PM EDT
The Cardinals’ most glaring need this offseason is a reliable left-handed reliever. And it appears they’ve begun to seriously consider the available options.
According to MLB.com Nationals beat writer Bill Ladson, the Cards have expressed interest recently in free agent southpaw Sean Burnett, who posted 2.38 ERA in 56 2/3 innings this past summer for Washington while holding left-handed batters to a measly .211/.245/.289 batting line. He has a cool 3.58 career ERA in six-plus major league seasons.
Ladson says Burnett, who turned 30 years old in September, is looking for a four-year contract. It’s not the Cardinals’ style to dish out long-term deals to relievers and it’s hard to see them making an exception here. But they’ll be ready to pounce on the Dunedin, Florida native if his asking price should drop.
UPDATE, 8:29 PM: Burnett’s agent told MLB Trade Rumors that his client is not looking for a four-year contract. “We are not seeking a four-year deal and it’s crazy to hear such rumors out there,” said the agent.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)