Dec 1, 2012, 7:03 PM EST
The Cardinals’ most glaring need this offseason is a reliable left-handed reliever. And it appears they’ve begun to seriously consider the available options.
According to MLB.com Nationals beat writer Bill Ladson, the Cards have expressed interest recently in free agent southpaw Sean Burnett, who posted 2.38 ERA in 56 2/3 innings this past summer for Washington while holding left-handed batters to a measly .211/.245/.289 batting line. He has a cool 3.58 career ERA in six-plus major league seasons.
Ladson says Burnett, who turned 30 years old in September, is looking for a four-year contract. It’s not the Cardinals’ style to dish out long-term deals to relievers and it’s hard to see them making an exception here. But they’ll be ready to pounce on the Dunedin, Florida native if his asking price should drop.
UPDATE, 8:29 PM: Burnett’s agent told MLB Trade Rumors that his client is not looking for a four-year contract. “We are not seeking a four-year deal and it’s crazy to hear such rumors out there,” said the agent.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 71
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)