Dec 1, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
Minor scare down in the Dominican Winter League.
From ESPN’s Buster Olney comes word that Indians catcher Carlos Santana fouled a ball off his right leg — near the knee — during a game Saturday while playing for Leones del Escogido. He left with a limp, but Olney says trainers are “not concerned” at this point that he suffered any sort of serious injury.
We can probably just call it a right leg bruise.
Santana, 26, batted .252/.365/.420 with 18 home runs and 76 RBI over 609 plate appearances this summer for the fourth-place Tribe. He hit .239/.351/.457 with 27 home runs and 79 RBI in 2011.
The Dominican native underwent major surgery on his left knee in August 2010 after getting railroaded on a play at the plate by Red Sox outfielder Ryan Kalish. He made a full recovery from that procedure.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)