Dec 1, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
Per Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, Johnson hosted a charity event last night to benefit Lighthouse Central Florida, a non-profit organization offering services to people affected by vision loss and blindness. Many big names were in attendance for the event, including the likes of Hall of Famer Brooks Robinson and Larry The Cable Guy (?), but Johnson was especially interested to see LaRoche, who made the trip from Kansas. The Nats’ skipper has kept in touch with LaRoche during the offseason, even buying some beef from his cattle ranch, and told him to “bring his pen” when he came to the charity event last night.
“I wanted him here to sign the damn contract,” Johnson said. “I’m eating his beef, and I wanted to put an order in for next year, too. After we win the World Series.”
Can we make “eating his beef” into a thing? It should really be a thing.
LaRoche and general manager Mike Rizzo declined to comment on any specifics regarding negotiations, but Johnson yelled into the microphone for them to “GET TOGETHER” when speaking on stage. So far the Nationals have been unwilling to offer more than a two-year deal while the Red Sox, Rangers and Orioles have been mentioned as possible alternatives for LaRoche.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)