Dec 1, 2012, 11:26 AM EST
Per Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, Johnson hosted a charity event last night to benefit Lighthouse Central Florida, a non-profit organization offering services to people affected by vision loss and blindness. Many big names were in attendance for the event, including the likes of Hall of Famer Brooks Robinson and Larry The Cable Guy (?), but Johnson was especially interested to see LaRoche, who made the trip from Kansas. The Nats’ skipper has kept in touch with LaRoche during the offseason, even buying some beef from his cattle ranch, and told him to “bring his pen” when he came to the charity event last night.
“I wanted him here to sign the damn contract,” Johnson said. “I’m eating his beef, and I wanted to put an order in for next year, too. After we win the World Series.”
Can we make “eating his beef” into a thing? It should really be a thing.
LaRoche and general manager Mike Rizzo declined to comment on any specifics regarding negotiations, but Johnson yelled into the microphone for them to “GET TOGETHER” when speaking on stage. So far the Nationals have been unwilling to offer more than a two-year deal while the Red Sox, Rangers and Orioles have been mentioned as possible alternatives for LaRoche.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 316
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (318)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)