Must-click link: Anatomy of a blockbuster

Dec 1, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Mark Buehrle, Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson AP

Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun has penned an excellent piece detailing how the recent 12-player blockbuster trade between the Blue Jays and Marlins went down. It’s rare that we get a fly-on-the-wall perspective on the inner workings of a trade, but Elliott has it from both sides and presents it in an entertaining and informative light. It’s tremendous work and definitely worth your attention.

At the very least, just click on the link to read how Jeff Mathis was almost responsible for the deal falling apart. That’s right, Jeff Mathis.

1. proudlycanadian - Dec 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Well researched. Unlike many reporters, Elliott is thorough. From a Jays perspective, there is little in this story that Anthoulos had not revealed in a post trade press conference. The information from the Miami side was new to me. In summary, a very good piece of reporting.

2. cackalackyank - Dec 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Yes, a real good detailed piece…but I did find a error: “On the other, they had the fewest fans of any club moving into a new park. Was the glass half-full or half-empty? There was plenty of soul-searching.”
    See that last sentence might be true of the Jays…but we all know that Loria has no soul to search….sold it long ago.

• Old Gator - Dec 1, 2012 at 8:48 PM

“Only the soul is immortal, Scroogey. And yours…belongs…to me.”

3. hooockey - Dec 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Sure is better than reading the bs from Olney of ESPN where Jim Tracy or Jim Riggleman are finalists for the Jays manager job. Probably neither was even interviewed.

I also like how the Jays front office leaks nothing. Nobody knew a damn thing about this trade until it was done. By contrast, the Red Sox look like idiots leaking every detail of the Farrell trade.

4. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 1, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Agreed, very good piece. When I saw “excellent” and “Toronto Sun” in the same sentence I had to see it to believe it.

5. indaburg - Dec 1, 2012 at 11:41 AM

That was an excellent piece. I felt like I was there, listening in. I also like Anthopoulos’ style. No bullshit. If I didn’t have a rooting interest in the AL East already, I would want his Icarian experiment to work.

6. henryd3rd - Dec 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM

John Farrell and Mike Redmond must both be wondering, “why me?” I doubt if either had any idea that there would be a major shake up in those rosters? Farrell at the very least is working for an organization that has a loyal fan base. Redmond would be wise to rent in South Florida as oppose to buying. If history is any judge I don’t foresee him being here very long

• Old Gator - Dec 1, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Don’t forget that Redmond played for these…um…ah…well, whatever they are, before. I’m sure he has no blinkers on about any of this. He gets two years – even a year – of managing at the major league level and he’s automatically reserved a place on retread manager’s conveyor belt.

7. Chris Fiorentino - Dec 1, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I am a little confused as who the other 200 inning starter the Jays got, besides Buerhle. Are they trying to tell people that the injury-prone Josh Johnson is a likely 200+ innings guy? LOL. In 7 years, he’s averaged 129 innings and has only pitched 200+ innings once. I know it’s a contract year, but this guy, while I love him and always hated when the Phillies would be facing him, is not a lock to pitch the whole season without a couple stints on the DL.

I’m not saying the deal wasn’t a steal for the Jays…just trying to curb the enthusiasm of those who think Johnson is a horse. He’s not. He missed most of 2011 and pitched through pain in 2012 to get to 190 innings, but you can’t overlook the 3.81 ERA, 1.280 WHIP and barely average 104 ERA+.

8. cur68 - Dec 1, 2012 at 2:51 PM

That was pretty cool: the anatomy if this trade really reflects what Anthopolous is all about. He wants to win. He knows what’s important for winning and he’s not treating it like a game of Texas Hold ‘em. That would be stupid. Everyone knows there’s 2 kinds of GM: the kind that wants to win and the kind that wants to be cheap. He’s one of the former and he was dealing with one of the latter: no point in trying to be coy about it. Everybody gets what they want. Its perfect (unless you’re a Feesh Fan. Then it sucks donkey balls).

• Old Gator - Dec 1, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Latino cuisine in Macondo has worse things than donkey balls. Tripe is a big menu item.

• Old Gator - Dec 1, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Pardon me. Beeg item.

• cur68 - Dec 1, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I am not a fan of offal. Bleh.

9. jjpileggi - Dec 1, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Fun piece!

John Pileggi

10. jaysjunkie - Dec 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Great article. There’s a reason Elliot was inducted into Cooperstown this past summer!

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3935)