Dec 1, 2012, 2:45 PM EDT
The timing is right for negotiations, as Walker is arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter as a Super Two player. The 27-year-old batted .280/.342/.426 with 14 home runs, 69 RBI and a .768 OPS in 129 games this past season. Walker’s .770 OPS is eighth-highest among second baseman since 2010 (min. 1,500 plate appearances), so while he’s not a star, he’s been plenty productive for Pittsburgh.
Walker missed some time with a back injury down the stretch and was diagnosed with a herniated disk in September, so the Pirates will surely want to get a read on his progress before they commit long-term.
- Red Sox acquire Alejandro De Aza from Orioles 19
- Video: Lloyd McClendon got ejected, threw another tantrum 23
- Albert Pujols ties Jimmie Foxx on the all-time home run list 27
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 96
- Matt Holliday’s historical on-base streak ends with ejection 77
- Video: Joey Gallo goes way deep in second MLB at-bat 14
- Video: Joey Gallo’s first career plate appearance in the major leagues results in two runs scoring 10
- Scott Kazmir cleared to return to A’s rotation Friday 0
- Stan Hack didn’t hack and other inappropriate baseball names (186)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (150)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (133)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (97)