Dec 1, 2012, 4:06 PM EST
The Cubs explored potential ways to unload Alfonso Soriano prior to the July 31 trade deadline this year, but a deal failed to materialize. They plan to try again over the next few days.
According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Cubs plan to meet with teams regarding Soriano during the Winter Meetings in Nashville next week. Frankly, it would probably be bigger news if they weren’t shopping him.
Soriano is owed $36 million over the next two seasons and has a full no-trade clause, so finding a match won’t be easy, but the Cubs are willing to include some cash in order to make a deal more feasible. In a market where Jonny Gomes got two years and $10 million from the Red Sox, the thought is that Soriano could draw interest from multiple teams who are looking for right-handed power. Morosi speculates that the Phillies could be a fit.
Soriano, who turns 37 in January, batted .262/.322/.499 with 32 home runs, 108 RBI and an .821 OPS in 151 games with the Cubs this past season. His OPS+ of 121 was his highest since his first season with the club in 2007.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)