Dec 1, 2012, 1:01 PM EST
After agreeing to an eight-year, $138 million extension with third baseman David Wright earlier this week, the Mets have turned their attention to 2012 Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey. Talks have progressed slowly until now, but ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that the Mets have increased their offer.
No word on the specifics of the new offer, but Dickey is said to be willing to accept a two-year extension which would run through 2015. Olney notes that the Mets were “stunned” by Andy Pettitte‘s one-year, $12 million contract with the Yankees and it’s possible the deal could be used as a comparable for Dickey because of his age. Some have speculated that the 38-year-old knuckleballer could be looking at a deal similar to Jake Peavy‘s recent two-year, $29 million extension with the White Sox.
The Mets have also discussed trade possibilities involving Dickey in case the two sides fail to come to an agreement. CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported earlier this week that the Royals have expressed interest, though they aren’t willing to give up catcher Salvador Perez or top prospect outfielder Wil Myers.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)