Dec 1, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
After agreeing to an eight-year, $138 million extension with third baseman David Wright earlier this week, the Mets have turned their attention to 2012 Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey. Talks have progressed slowly until now, but ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that the Mets have increased their offer.
No word on the specifics of the new offer, but Dickey is said to be willing to accept a two-year extension which would run through 2015. Olney notes that the Mets were “stunned” by Andy Pettitte‘s one-year, $12 million contract with the Yankees and it’s possible the deal could be used as a comparable for Dickey because of his age. Some have speculated that the 38-year-old knuckleballer could be looking at a deal similar to Jake Peavy‘s recent two-year, $29 million extension with the White Sox.
The Mets have also discussed trade possibilities involving Dickey in case the two sides fail to come to an agreement. CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported earlier this week that the Royals have expressed interest, though they aren’t willing to give up catcher Salvador Perez or top prospect outfielder Wil Myers.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)