Dec 1, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
After agreeing to an eight-year, $138 million extension with third baseman David Wright earlier this week, the Mets have turned their attention to 2012 Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey. Talks have progressed slowly until now, but ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that the Mets have increased their offer.
No word on the specifics of the new offer, but Dickey is said to be willing to accept a two-year extension which would run through 2015. Olney notes that the Mets were “stunned” by Andy Pettitte‘s one-year, $12 million contract with the Yankees and it’s possible the deal could be used as a comparable for Dickey because of his age. Some have speculated that the 38-year-old knuckleballer could be looking at a deal similar to Jake Peavy‘s recent two-year, $29 million extension with the White Sox.
The Mets have also discussed trade possibilities involving Dickey in case the two sides fail to come to an agreement. CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported earlier this week that the Royals have expressed interest, though they aren’t willing to give up catcher Salvador Perez or top prospect outfielder Wil Myers.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?