Dec 1, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
After agreeing to an eight-year, $138 million extension with third baseman David Wright earlier this week, the Mets have turned their attention to 2012 Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey. Talks have progressed slowly until now, but ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that the Mets have increased their offer.
No word on the specifics of the new offer, but Dickey is said to be willing to accept a two-year extension which would run through 2015. Olney notes that the Mets were “stunned” by Andy Pettitte‘s one-year, $12 million contract with the Yankees and it’s possible the deal could be used as a comparable for Dickey because of his age. Some have speculated that the 38-year-old knuckleballer could be looking at a deal similar to Jake Peavy‘s recent two-year, $29 million extension with the White Sox.
The Mets have also discussed trade possibilities involving Dickey in case the two sides fail to come to an agreement. CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported earlier this week that the Royals have expressed interest, though they aren’t willing to give up catcher Salvador Perez or top prospect outfielder Wil Myers.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 50
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 20
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)