Dec 1, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT
Joel Hanrahan has been a quality closer for the Pirates for the past two seasons, but he’s about to get another raise in arbitration and can become a free agent next offseason. With that in mind, ESPN’s Buster Olney hears that the Pirates are currently trying to gauge his trade value.
Pirates have had Joel Hanrahan on the market for a few weeks; they have talked to the Dodgers about Chris Capuano, and other teams, as well.—
Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) November 30, 2012
Hanrahan is coming off an odd season in which he posted a 2.72 ERA, 36 saves and a 67 strikeouts over 59 2/3 innings, but he also averaged 5.4 BB/9, up from 2.7 BB/9 over the previous two seasons. The 31-year-old right-hander made $4.1 million in 2012 and will likely see his salary rise to the $6-7 million range next season.
Capuano would be a nice addition to the Pirates’ rotation, as he has a solid 4.12 ERA over the past two seasons, but he’s also set to become a free agent after 2013. You’d like to think the Pirates could get more for Hanrahan, or at least someone who could contribute beyond next season. Signing Russell Martin and dealing Hanrahan would send mixed messages to the fanbase, so I doubt this would be a real possibility unless the Pirates are able to bring back Jason Grilli, who FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported yesterday is drawing some interest as a closer.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)