Dec 1, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT
Joel Hanrahan has been a quality closer for the Pirates for the past two seasons, but he’s about to get another raise in arbitration and can become a free agent next offseason. With that in mind, ESPN’s Buster Olney hears that the Pirates are currently trying to gauge his trade value.
Pirates have had Joel Hanrahan on the market for a few weeks; they have talked to the Dodgers about Chris Capuano, and other teams, as well.—
Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) November 30, 2012
Hanrahan is coming off an odd season in which he posted a 2.72 ERA, 36 saves and a 67 strikeouts over 59 2/3 innings, but he also averaged 5.4 BB/9, up from 2.7 BB/9 over the previous two seasons. The 31-year-old right-hander made $4.1 million in 2012 and will likely see his salary rise to the $6-7 million range next season.
Capuano would be a nice addition to the Pirates’ rotation, as he has a solid 4.12 ERA over the past two seasons, but he’s also set to become a free agent after 2013. You’d like to think the Pirates could get more for Hanrahan, or at least someone who could contribute beyond next season. Signing Russell Martin and dealing Hanrahan would send mixed messages to the fanbase, so I doubt this would be a real possibility unless the Pirates are able to bring back Jason Grilli, who FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported yesterday is drawing some interest as a closer.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)