Ichiro Suzuki’s agent says he’s now talking to other teams

Dec 2, 2012, 10:33 AM EDT

ichiro getty Getty Images

Tony Attanasio, the agent for Ichiro Suzuki, seems to be growing frustrated over the lack of attention his client is drawing from the Yankees here in early December. Via George King of the New York Post:

“At the beginning we talked a lot but since that time, zero,” Attanasio said. “As far as we are concerned we don’t care what the Yankees do. We have had conversations with multiple clubs. If we see something we like he will go through with it.”

Ichiro has made it known that he wants to remain in pinstripes and that remains the likeliest scenario.

The Yankees’ decision-makers have simply been to busy working on deals with veteran pitchers. Hiroki Kuroda inked a one-year, $15 million contract on November 20, Andy Pettitte agreed to a one-year, $12 million pact on November 28 and Mariano Rivera signed for one year and $10 million on November 30.

Ichiro, 39, batted .322/.340/.454 across 240 plate appearances with the Bombers this past season.

1. jonirocit - Dec 2, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Giants could use a left fielder .

2. pisano - Dec 2, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I think the Yankees would like to have him, but as is their usual choice for an outfielder, they look for a power hitter with defensive skills. Ichiro is on the back burner, and if what their looking for doesn’t materialize they’ll try to sign Ichiro, if he’s still out there.

• cur68 - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I would like your boys of The Empire to go in another direction, Pisan. In my perfect scenario a motivated, dedicated Ichiro would be in the NL, or at least not the AL Beast. I sincerely hope Cashman DOES sign someone else because who ever it is will be worse than Ichiro Suzuki and this gives my boys a better shot at clobbering them. I love the guy: been a class act his whole career and always played well. He deserves to be on a contender but, for the sake of The Beav, let it be on an NL contender, eh?

• pisano - Dec 2, 2012 at 4:40 PM

cur68… I totally understand, but your boys at this point seem to be the favorites going into the season, at this point. The winter meetings as you know is where the ground work is laid, so to speak, a lot can happen between now and the start of the season, but it should be fun especially for you, it’s been a long time since the Beavers got serious about winning.

• cur68 - Dec 2, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Still need a pitcher. A good starter. If that happens, THEN I might go all Halladaysbicepts proclaiming Ultimate Victory. Till then…I urge caution. The Yankees were very good last season. They could be just as good in 2013. They’ll likely repeat to the post season. Thus the teams to beat are the Rays and Orioles, but more so the Orioles than the hitting deficient, cheap as chips, Rays (unless they find some hitting). The Beav’ll have to do that with a relatively solid 1-3 starting rotation, a biiiiig question mark around Romero and of course…Happ. Ugh. So yeah, one more pitcher. Then we got us a Summer of the Beav.

3. surefooted1 - Dec 2, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Cashman’s response, “(checking the year) Meh, OK)”

4. proudlycanadian - Dec 2, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I first saw this story yesterday on Yahoo. Yahoo was quoting Japanese sources. Obviously, the Yankees placed greater priority on getting their pitching solidified than on right field. Could this be a potential landing spot for Cody Ross?

• Kevin S. - Dec 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I really, really hope not. The only reason not to re-sign Ichiro would be if Cashman pulled off a trade for one of the cost-controlled OF studs who may or may not be on the trade market.

• uyf1950 - Dec 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Proudly, I doubt it. I think the Yankees are looking for a 1 year fillin type of player or at the most a guy they can sign for 2 years on the cheap say at $10MM total and no more.

5. spicyjimbolaya - Dec 2, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Considering the mega-blockbuster trade the Blue Jays pulled off in the AL East, I’m not surprised the Yankees have paused on negotiations for a 39-yr old slap-hitting OF with declining upside.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 2, 2012 at 11:03 AM

He did break out of his 2012 funk with a great series against the Jays.

6. uyf1950 - Dec 2, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I think Ichiro would like to return to the Yankees and I think the Yankees would like to have him return. Besides what would the pre-season be without some posturing by players and teams when it comes to signings. I like Ichiro and I like what he brings to the table for the Yankees. But I honestly feel that if Cashman thought Ichiro was the difference in the Yankees accomplishing their 2014 goals or not they would have made his signing a priority and signed him already. So patience my friends there is more then one fish in the sea.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I am sure that the Yankees will get someone decent for 2013, but 2014 might be a problem. There will not be much to choose from in 2014 free agency. That is why the Jays signed Melky for 2 years rather than 1.

• uyf1950 - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:17 PM

My friend there always seem to be players that pop up that maybe their options aren’t exercised etc… The Yankees also have a couple of very promising prospects that could be ready for the 2014 season there is also the possibility of a trade. I’m thinking specifically of Slade Heathcott he could progress quickly through Double A in 2013 especially the way he performed this this in the AFL. Plus the Yankees have several other prospects that by the end of 2013 I would think would be very appealing to other teams in a trade.
        Actually for 2014 and beyond I’m very optimistic about the Yankees being able to fill the catching and at least 1 of the outfield positions (right field or center field) from within.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Good luck. It is refreshing to see the Yankees deal with a monetary restraint even if it probably ends after the 2014 season.

• uyf1950 - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Proudly, just my opinion but I don’t think it will end after 2014. I think 2014 and 2015 are for sure going to see the Yankees try and keep the spending down. After that it depends what happens when the current CBA ends after the 2016 season.

7. Old Gator - Dec 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM

The Borg better sign the rest of their rocking chair jockeys if they want to qualify for the senior tour this coming season. Pitchers, catchers and male nurses report at the end of February, and it’s December already.

• Old Gator - Dec 2, 2012 at 11:19 AM

On the other hand, they really do need to start getting younger. Maybe the Borg should take a page from How to Make Big Profits Running a Baseball Team on the Cheap by Scrooge McLoria (with statistical appendices by the Chihuahua – the same ones which were invisible to the county council of Macondo a few years back), they could delete the no-trade clause from Ichiro’s contract and recycle him for fabricant embryos in nutrient solution by July 31st.

• bigharold - Dec 2, 2012 at 3:04 PM

On the other hand…

Rumor has it that Cashman is in the midst of trading A-Rod for Stanton. The Yankees will eat 90% of A-Rod’s salary but at least that they’ll be paying for Stanton production.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

• Old Gator - Dec 2, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Harold: that’s pretty funny. 10% of A-Roid’s salary is still more than they’re paying the Iron Giant by a long shot, and they’re not going to get the kid’s production or excitement out of an aging superstar who, if he isn’t over the hill already, is certainly within hailing distance of the crest.

8. psuravens19 - Dec 2, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I have a feeling the Yanks are going to make a run at Hamilton

• protius - Dec 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Dude, it’s gas.

• pisano - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:19 PM

psuravens19….. Not in this life time, never happen.

• jwbiii - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Doubtful. Hamilton wants break the bank money and someone will give it to him. The Yankees want to get under the 2014 luxury cap. These are incompatible goals. Note that Kuroda, Pettitte, and Rivera are all on one year deals.

• alexo0 - Dec 2, 2012 at 1:29 PM

It likely would not last for the entire contract, but for next few years, Hamilton would be a force for the Yankees. 50 bombs a year would be extremely likely, and moving Arod to DH would allow him to maintain his health better and give the Yanks a Murderor’s Row that they hadn’t seen in awhile. They would be extremely scary.

9. spicyjimbolaya - Dec 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM

If Hamilton signs with the Yankees, what’s the over/under on how long it takes him to fall off the wagon? (Or is it on the wagon?)

• Just a Fan - Dec 2, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Not even funny………..just stop

• larrytsg - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM

OK, maybe not funny, but DEFINITELY needs to be a factor. If I were a GM, I would not sign him for more than 3 years, and if I were in NY, there is no way I would sign him. It’s just too much of a risk.

• indaburg - Dec 2, 2012 at 1:02 PM

A person can fall off the proverbial wagon anywhere.

• bigharold - Dec 2, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I don’t think for a moment that the Yankees are signing Hamilton but he’s no more likely to fall off the wagon in New York as anywhere else. In fact a wealthy team like the Yankees might well provide him with additional resources to help in that area.

Whether Hamilton is successful in his sobriety is far more tied to his commitment to staying sober then the city where his team is located.

• historiophiliac - Dec 2, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I’m always baffled by these arguments that someone is more likely to drink if they’re in pinstripes….oh, wait. Okay, yeah.

• purnellmeagrejr - Dec 3, 2012 at 6:53 AM

Billy Martin’s disaease, huh?

10. deadrabbit79 - Dec 2, 2012 at 11:48 AM

This was an interesting story……on Friday when it first came out

11. jolt12 - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Just an agent trying to prove to his client that he is doing something for his money. I’d be very surprised if they don’t work this out, soon. (Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been very surprised, though).

12. indaburg - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Come to Tampa, Ichiro. What was the rumored deal? 1 year/$5 mil? We can do that. Make it happen, Friedman.

• kardshark1 - Dec 2, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Friedman likes players that provide value, that’s why the Rays win 90+ games every year on that budget. He doesn’t blow money on old groundball hitters with no power that never walk.

• zx11c3 - Dec 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Your “every year”, sure has been a short time. It wasn’t that many years ago TB was the doormats of the East.

13. vallewho - Dec 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Shiiiiieeet….I was under the impression that the deal was done….I remember reading the story!

I just searched an see where the Yankees denied it. damn.

14. kgsmith - Dec 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM

As a RED SOX fan, I hope to god they are not talking to Ichiro..

15. cackalackyank - Dec 2, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I really do not get this…if goal is to get under the cap for 2014, then that is when you start the youth movement,hich works well since you have a bunch of guys now that figure to be retiring or going home to Japan for 2014. Ichiro fits right into that. Petite, Rivera, Kuroda…and lets not forget ..I think Jeter has an option for 2014..which if the recovery from the ankle goes rough..he just might decline all on one year commitments. I would not be surprised if the Yanks try to get AJ Percynski on a one year deal..or maybe Geovany Soto. Ichiro is a really good one year bridge to whatever is next.

16. jjpileggi - Dec 2, 2012 at 4:49 PM

This is not the old Yankees, who would have signed him and then continued to look for someone with power. If Price Hal wants to avoid the luxury tax in 2014, the team needs to move cautiously and prioritize. Pitching is harder to come by then 39 year old corner outfielders, so they will settle the staff and bullpen, and then see what is left in terms of hitters.

John Pileggi

17. historiophiliac - Dec 2, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Am I the only one who thinks this is a little like sending himself flowers? Meh.

18. freeagentsignee - Dec 3, 2012 at 4:04 PM

With respect to the Yankees, they are an inch thick if they release Ichiro, chiefly after Swisher.
    Get a deal Ichiro, Yankees.
    Go Yankees!

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3799)