Dec 2, 2012, 2:36 PM EST
Here’s the report from Jon Heyman of CBS Sports:
The Rangers, hoping to lure top free-agent target Zack Greinke with their winning ways and strong roster, recently met with the pitcher, sources said.
The Dodgers are widely considered the favorite for Greinke because of their seemingly-endless budget and the right-hander’s desire for a record-breaking deal. But the Rangers can spend with the best of ‘em and could have quite a bit of expendable cash if they don’t re-sign Josh Hamilton.
The Angels have also met recently with Greinke and his representatives, and the Nationals could be a darkhorse.
Greinke posted a stellar 3.48 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 200/54 K/BB ratio in 212 1/3 innings this past season between Milwaukee and Anaheim. The 29-year-old boasts a 3.77 career ERA and a 1.25 career WHIP.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)