Dec 2, 2012, 2:36 PM EDT
Here’s the report from Jon Heyman of CBS Sports:
The Rangers, hoping to lure top free-agent target Zack Greinke with their winning ways and strong roster, recently met with the pitcher, sources said.
The Dodgers are widely considered the favorite for Greinke because of their seemingly-endless budget and the right-hander’s desire for a record-breaking deal. But the Rangers can spend with the best of ‘em and could have quite a bit of expendable cash if they don’t re-sign Josh Hamilton.
The Angels have also met recently with Greinke and his representatives, and the Nationals could be a darkhorse.
Greinke posted a stellar 3.48 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 200/54 K/BB ratio in 212 1/3 innings this past season between Milwaukee and Anaheim. The 29-year-old boasts a 3.77 career ERA and a 1.25 career WHIP.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut