Dec 2, 2012, 2:36 PM EDT
Here’s the report from Jon Heyman of CBS Sports:
The Rangers, hoping to lure top free-agent target Zack Greinke with their winning ways and strong roster, recently met with the pitcher, sources said.
The Dodgers are widely considered the favorite for Greinke because of their seemingly-endless budget and the right-hander’s desire for a record-breaking deal. But the Rangers can spend with the best of ‘em and could have quite a bit of expendable cash if they don’t re-sign Josh Hamilton.
The Angels have also met recently with Greinke and his representatives, and the Nationals could be a darkhorse.
Greinke posted a stellar 3.48 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 200/54 K/BB ratio in 212 1/3 innings this past season between Milwaukee and Anaheim. The 29-year-old boasts a 3.77 career ERA and a 1.25 career WHIP.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)