Dec 2, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Jon Morosi reports that the Reds are interested in Fowler, while the Rockies happen to like Reds starter Homer Bailey. There’s no indication that the two sides have actually discussed a deal involving those two, but perhaps they will at the winter meetings beginning Monday.
A deal involving those two would seem to improve the Reds’ chances for 2013. Bailey emerged as a very good starting pitcher last year, but he has a history of arm problems and the Reds have Mike Leake available to step into his spot in the rotation. The difference between Leake and Bailey probably isn’t as great as the difference between Stubbs and Fowler.
The Rockies would probably want more than Bailey for their center fielder, but perhaps adding Stubbs to the deal would even it up in their eyes. They could take a one-year look at Stubbs and then go in a different direction if he fails to take a step forward.
There’s also a complication for the Reds; much of Fowler’s trade value is rooted in the fact that he’s under control through 2015. The Reds, though, should have Billy Hamilton ready to take over in center in 2014, and Fowler wouldn’t be all that valuable in a corner.
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 11
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 26
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 50
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)