Royals express sympathy, offer thoughts and prayers in wake of Chiefs player’s murder-suicide

Dec 2, 2012, 1:11 PM EDT

Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher killed his girlfriend and the mother of his three-month-old daughter, Kasandra Perkins, on Saturday morning, then drove to Arrowhead Stadium and put a bullet in his own head in front of Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli and head coach Romeo Crennel. It’s an unspeakable crime and tragedy, to which members of the Royals — who play right next door to Chiefs — have been expressing their concerns and sympathy:

1. Ben - Dec 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Think his brain will be checked to see if football-related trauma could have been a contributing factor? Doubt it. Then the NFL and football fans can keep their heads buried in the sand and continue pretending football isn’t a brutal bloodsport.

• astrofaninkc - Dec 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Even if the NFL or his family asked for it to be done, I’m not sure it is medically possible to examine the brain for football-related trauma once a bullet has gone through it.

I’m not trying to be a smart ass or make light of this situation either. Just pointing out that I don’t believe it’s going to be able to put his brain back together for an examination.

• samu0034 - Dec 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Again, it’s kind of a morbid thing to consider, but it kind of depends on how he did it. I distinctly remember hearing about another NFL player who shot himself, and did it in such a way that his brain could still be examined afterward. Though in that case I think he shot himself in the chest. Man, sometimes it’s just a really messed up world we live in.

• jwbiii - Dec 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM

samu, That was former Bear Dave Duerson. He was working for the NFLPA, interviewing brain injured players when he recognized the symptoms in himself and he decided the ride down the down slope wasn’t worth living.

• astrofaninkc - Dec 2, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Junior Seau also shot himself in the chest instead of the head.

• kkolchak - Dec 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM

The NFL has been in denial about this issue for many years and is only beginning to acknowledge that it has a serious problem.

In the bigger picture, it is simply incredible that an NFL player’s life expectancy is merely 55, or nearly 20 years shorter than the average American male. Beyond this horrible tragedy, these guys are literally killing themselves for the game. I don’t know what the answer is, but this issue was a big factor towards me giving up my NFL season tickets and reverting to being a baseball fan.

• mybrunoblog - Dec 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Did you make up that statistic about NFL players dying at 55?
        The fact is a 2011 Journal of American Cardiology report found that former NFL players actually have a longer life expectancy than regular citizens. The study is fascinating. They attribute the longer life to the fact that NFL players tend to be non smokers, abuse alcohol less frequently, tend to exercise more than the rest of us and have access to good health care.
        I understand this flies in the face of what the media and NFLPA tell us but facts often have a way of toppling over the hyperbole.

2. astrofaninkc - Dec 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM

It’s a minor detail given the scope of this tragedy, but Kasandra was the mother of Jovan’s daughter, not son.

• Drew Silva - Dec 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Apologies. Thank you.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 2, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Stuff like this is just doubly upsetting. It hits me in a soft spot. I come to sites like this when I need a distraction from “crappy life in general” stuff, so to get it here just seems to pile on. I know it is relevant, especially when tragedy hits the baseball world directly, but damn do I wish it wasn’t.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3303)