Dec 2, 2012, 9:01 PM EST
Well, this is a first. The free-spending Dodgers have no plans to make a run at non-tendered closer Brian Wilson, sources told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times.
Wilson was said to be quite interested in pitching in SoCal with the Dodgers or Angels, but both teams have already signed closers this winter. The Dodgers re-signed Brandon League for $22.5 million over three years, while the Angels added Ryan Madson on a one-year deal that could earn him $7 million.
Wilson, like Madson, is returning from Tommy John surgery. He’s probably going to want more than the $3.5 million guarantee that Madson got from the Halos.
Boston might be another possibility for Wilson, though the Red Sox only figure to upgrade from Andrew Bailey in the closer’s role if they find a potential bargain.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 7
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 62
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4