A-Rod was on heavy painkillers, had to go to the ER during the playoffs

Dec 3, 2012, 10:33 AM EDT

Alex Rodriguez Getty Getty Images

That’s the report from Ken Rosenthal, who tweets that A-Rod was re-injured before the playoffs and that he was “on pain medication throughout the post-season. Pain so severe after one of DS games, he had to be taken to emergency room and spent night there.”

Hurm.

On the one hand, I’m tempted to say that this is certainly sobering for the people who wanted to trash the hell out of Rodriguez during the playoffs.

On the other hand, how in the world could no one have reported that A-Rod spent a night in an ER during the playoffs before now?  That kind of thing has to get out, doesn’t it? Heck, given how much crap people were piling on Rodriguez, you’d think the Yankees would have leaked or reported this themselves in an effort to protect their player from being attacked the way he was being attacked back in October.

Whatver the case, my spidey sense tells me that, yes, A-Rod was in a lot more pain during the playoffs than was generally reported, but that perhaps someone — maybe someone close to A-Rod — is gilding the lily a bit here.

As always, of course, if A-Rod can come back and play, this will be forgotten. If not, he’ll be considered a bum or a slacker or whatever it is people like to consider A-Rod.  He’ll never get credit for trying to play through pain.

1. Kevin S. - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM

If A-Rod is forced to retire for medical reasons, I know he still gets paid, but does his salary still count against the Yanks’ LT number?

• jwbiii - Dec 3, 2012 at 1:20 PM

No, if he retires, he doesn’t get paid. Gil Meche retired in 2011 with a year left on his contract because he didn’t want to have surgery and rehab his shoulder again and he didn’t get paid. Albert Belle spent a few years on Baltimore’s 60 day DL. I think is a more likely outcome if Rodriguez is really done. The salaries of players on the DL count.

• anxovies - Dec 4, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Gil Meche. When I first heard his name I was hoping his middle name started with a “G” but I went online and discovered it is Allen. Gil G. Meche? Gilgamesh, get it? Oh well.

2. historiophiliac - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Well, that explains his attempt to recruit nurses from the stands.

3. bostonboy82 - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I think most Yankee fans were on pain killers during the playoffs.

4. pellypell - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM

“Pain so severe after one of DS games”

My thumbs kill me too after a long session on my kids DS. The trick is to take short breaks, Mario will still be there when you unpause the game.

5. sdelmonte - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I don’t wish this on anyone, of course. And I really do like A-Rod, as far as Yankees go.

But as a Mets fan still wincing over 1-800-FRAUD, it’s nice to know that A-Rod will once again crowd the Mets off the back pages.

6. chacochicken - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I had a torn labrum in my right hip. Had it scoped at the end of August and I’ll start running at 50% for first time next week. I can testify that it can be really painful and I could never find a comfortable way to sit or stand for longer than 20 or so mins at a time. I can’t imagine going through all that again on the other hip.

7. westtribetobe - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:40 AM

No RF, C, or 3B now…. Cashman’s definitely gonna pull something out at the winter meetings.

• mazblast - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I thought the world came to the Yankees, not vice versa. Isn’t playing for the Yankees supposed to be a privilege?

This “he was in so much pain he spent the night in the ER” story doesn’t pass the smell test. SOMEONE would have reported it at the time, since A-Roid and Pretty Boy can’t so much as go to the bathroom without a breathless report from some hack who wants to be “First!”

• chill1184 - Dec 3, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Fully agree with you, this sounds like more excuse making

• Utley's Hair - Dec 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Just be wary of what he pulls out, and from where.

8. 1zzo - Dec 3, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Of course he spent the night in the ER…this ER:

9. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM

“on pain medication throughout the post-season. Pain so severe after one of DS games, he had to be taken to emergency room and spent night there.”

FIXED: “on pain medication throughout the post-season. Pain so severe after one of DS games, he had to be taken to emergency room and spent night there, where he banged 3 nurses and handed out half a dozen baseballs with his phone number on it to others. An observant doctor called his performance ‘GRITTY’.”

10. 13arod - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:14 PM

at least it was the right hip insted of his right hip when he comes back he will tear the cover of the ball like he did when he returned from hip surgery a couple of years ago

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act