A-Rod, Yankees worried about his hip; call it “a big issue”

Dec 3, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT

Yankees' Rodriguez strikes out against the Orioles during Game 4 of their MLB ALDS baseball playoff series in New York Reuters

Even though we’ve said this every year since 2009, it remains true: for the Yankees to keep up  their winning ways, they need a healthy and productive Alex Rodriguez.  George King of the New York Post reports, however, that A-Rod’s surgically repaired right hip is damaged, with an insider telling him that it’s “a big issue.”

Rodriguez looked lost against righties in the postseason, and one wonders if the hip — and an attendant inability to turn quickly — was the cause. A-Rod his .272/.353/.430 in 2012, though he was less effective after returning from the disabled list than he was prior.

1. Shafer's Dealer - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I hope this isn’t the end. He needs to finish his career strong and lead in statistical categories so that he may make it in the HOF.
    Hows the man going to eat without his HOF credentials, subsidies and so on?
    Unless you’re looking to get laid, his signature on a baseball will be worthless..

2. bostonboy82 - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Just so we are clear, is that the excuse NY and AR are gonna go with?

• historiophiliac - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I thought it was his wrist.

• damnyankee13 - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:50 AM

just so we get this clear, what the redsux excuse for sucking so bad?

3. skids003 - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Craig, just a couple years ago he seemed sure to break Bonds record. Now he doesn’t. Whoa…

4. darthicarus - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM

ARod has a bum hip, Jeter the Great…Blessed Be His Name…is getting rotund, Russell Martin is gone, Swisher might be gone…woah be the Yankees. I feel bad for the team, the city, their fans. I hope they can overcome this adversity. Pray for the Yankees.

• genericcommenter - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:35 AM

During my time as a Yankees fan they sucked more than they didn’t ( no bandwagon). So as a fan, I will be OK.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM

The usual knock on the Yankees is that they are too old. You name 4 older players who may not be with the team much longer and cite that as their cause of doom. Does not compute…

• darthicarus - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:47 AM

It’s only 45% of their batting order…that & I thought the popular trend was to bash the Yankees for any reason just because. I can’t complain as my last good memory from last season was seeing the Tigers beat NY so I can’t hate on them too much.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Congratulations on those extra 4 games, where the Tigers won none. I hope you enjoyed cheering for your antisemite and enraged alcoholic. But yes, by all means, cast aspersions on Yankees players because they tried to play through an injury.

• darthicarus - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I appreciate that Yankee fans can be so easily riled up. Happy Winter Meetings!

5. proudlycanadian - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Where is Len when Arod needs him?

6. b453841l - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:24 AM

His hip doesn’t really matter. The “big problem” is his contract.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5458)