Alex Rodriguez needs more hip surgery, out until midseason

Dec 3, 2012, 10:05 AM EDT

Alex Rodriguez Getty Images

This morning George King of the New York Post wrote that Alex Rodriguez‘s surgically repaired right hip remains damaged and now his colleague Joel Sherman reports that Rodriguez “almost certainly needs more hip surgery”–this time on his left hip–and is expected to miss at least part of 2013.

Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that Rodriguez’s surgery is slated for January, with the delay stemming from the need to build up more strength in his hip before going under the knife. Obviously the fact that he’s expected to miss at least part of the season and yet the surgery is being put off until January suggests it won’t be a speedy recovery process, and according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com it’s a 3-6 month timetable that could knock him out for the entire first half.

Rodriguez hit .272 with 18 homers in 122 games this year while apparently playing through a damaged hip, posting career-lows in slugging percentage (.430) and OPS (.783) at age 36, and was repeatedly benched in the playoffs. He’s still owed $114 million for the next five seasons, including $28 million for 2013.

UPDATE: Rodriguez reportedly had to be hospitalized during the playoffs.

1. proudlycanadian - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Time for Arod to retire.

2. mybrunoblog - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Make me wonder why he didn’t have this surgery right aft the playoffs after his end of season team physical. Maybe i am wrong but i thought teams did not only a spring training physical but a post season physicall as well. I know fhe NFL does.
    Waiting until January? Seems odd.

• uyf1950 - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I don’t think that’s the case. I don’t believe there are any physicals (at least not mandatory ones) for players already under contract.

• pmcenroe - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Not sure if they are mandatory or if every team does them, but I am pretty sure the Twins give all of their players physicals after the season ends.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:05 AM

The Twins? That’s funny considering how many of their players are hurt and keep playing, only to go on the DL weeks later for a much worse injury. I’m sure Aaron or TCM could regale us with the numbers.

• Kevin S. - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:29 AM

The doctors want him to strengthen his hip before surgery.

What it makes you wonder is why he wasn’t shut down. They knew it wasn’t just a slump that he could break out of. I appreciate the willingness to try and give everything to the team even when one isn’t 100%, but at that point there wasn’t anything A-Rod could do to help the Yankees.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Welcome to New York, Mr. Hamilton.

• rythestunner - Dec 3, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Is Mr. Hamilton going to play 3B?

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 3, 2012 at 1:42 PM

With Mr. Hamilton in RF, it matter less who plays 3B. They have openings in RF, DH and apparently 3B. From one of those spots a cleanup hitter must emerge, and I don’t see and 3B/DH candidates qualified for the job.

4. uyf1950 - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM

This maybe a blessing in disguise. Maybe it will force the Yankees to get someone a little better then just a back up player for the left side of the infield. Also, maybe it might make A-Rod rethink how long he wants to hang on for the remaining 5 years of his contract. We’ll have to wait and see.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:30 AM

The Yankees should consider buying out the remainder of his contract. That would get them under the luxury tax in 2014.

• uyf1950 - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I don’t think that’s an option at this point. If they bought it out this year (2013) they would owe a 40% tax on the approximately $115MM +/- he’s still owed or $46MM just in tax. That ain’t gonna happen.

• pmcenroe - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I don’t think he’d go for it, at least not right now. The money is guaranteed and he has already made a ton of it in his career. Not sure there is any benefit to him hitting the open market while half (if not all) of his season is currently in jeopardy.

• pisano - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM

uyf1950….My friend, I agree, after his dismal last season the Yankees should think about replacing him. This as you say may be a blessing in disguise, as I’m sure they have some kind of insurance on the rest of his contract if he’s not capable of fulfilling the contract. I hope that is the case, because I hate to think what he’ll be showing for the next five years, it could get real ugly.

5. dodger88 - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:58 AM

With 5 years left and assuming the Yankees hold on to him for all 5, it might be best if they punt 2013 in the hopes he gets back to full health and try to get as much value from him as possible in years 2014-2017.

6. uyf1950 - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I know there is talk now of the Yankees looking at Stephen Drew a little harder with this injury to A-Rod. But Drew’s natural position is SS not 3rd base. Granted Chavez can fill in some for A-Rod but certainly not on a regular basis. Maybe the Yankees look at a Chavez/Keppinger platoon for 3rd base to carry them for the 1st half of the 2013 season. We’ll see what the plan is soon I hope.

7. ireportyoudecide - Dec 3, 2012 at 12:02 PM

It’s looking more and more likely that Bonds will remain the HR king for a while.

8. Detroit Michael - Dec 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM

The probability that he breaks Barry Bonds’ career HR record are now approaching 0%. That’s too bad, even though A-Rod isn’t exactly everyone’s favorite player.

9. dexterismyhero - Dec 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Roid damage to his hip joints?

10. cackalackyank - Dec 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I don’t know it this is ‘roids or not, but I know I was thinking this when he just completely lost the ability to drive the ball. Now we know. Guys generally don’t end up needing fewer procedures as they get older.

11. buffalomafia - Dec 3, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Steroids did it to him just like it did to Hulk Hogan!

12. 13arod - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:16 PM

they thought it was his left hip during the playoffs and didnt pay attention to the right hip and they didnt find out it was the right hip intill a couple of months later and the want him to strenghth the hip before surgey

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet