Dec 3, 2012, 8:32 PM EST
The Athletics could be involved in trade talks with the Marlins for Yunel Escobar, but they are also keeping their eyes on the free agent market. According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, Athletics general manager Billy Beane said this evening that Stephen Drew and Hiroyuki Nakajima are the two free agent shortstop possibilities being considered right now.
Drew, who turns 30 in March, batted .223/.309/.348 with seven home runs, 28 RBI and a .657 OPS in 79 games this season between the Diamondbacks and Athletics. He looked a bit more like himself after joining Oakland in August, but the A’s declined their half of a $10 million mutual option for 2013 in late October. Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM reported yesterday that the A’s, Red Sox, Yankees, Cardinals and Tigers are all in on the veteran shortstop.
Nakajima went through the posting process last winter, but had to return to Japan after he failed to work out an agreement with the Yankees. He’s an unrestricted free agent this time around. The 30-year-old batted .311/.382/.451 with 13 home runs, 74 RBI, seven stolen bases and an .833 OPS this past season with the Seibu Lions. John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that the Giants have spoken with Nakajima’s representatives as a possible backup plan in case they are unable to re-sign Marco Scutaro.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)