Dec 3, 2012, 8:32 PM EST
The Athletics could be involved in trade talks with the Marlins for Yunel Escobar, but they are also keeping their eyes on the free agent market. According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, Athletics general manager Billy Beane said this evening that Stephen Drew and Hiroyuki Nakajima are the two free agent shortstop possibilities being considered right now.
Drew, who turns 30 in March, batted .223/.309/.348 with seven home runs, 28 RBI and a .657 OPS in 79 games this season between the Diamondbacks and Athletics. He looked a bit more like himself after joining Oakland in August, but the A’s declined their half of a $10 million mutual option for 2013 in late October. Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM reported yesterday that the A’s, Red Sox, Yankees, Cardinals and Tigers are all in on the veteran shortstop.
Nakajima went through the posting process last winter, but had to return to Japan after he failed to work out an agreement with the Yankees. He’s an unrestricted free agent this time around. The 30-year-old batted .311/.382/.451 with 13 home runs, 74 RBI, seven stolen bases and an .833 OPS this past season with the Seibu Lions. John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that the Giants have spoken with Nakajima’s representatives as a possible backup plan in case they are unable to re-sign Marco Scutaro.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 37
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 54
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 43
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)