Dec 3, 2012, 8:32 PM EDT
The Athletics could be involved in trade talks with the Marlins for Yunel Escobar, but they are also keeping their eyes on the free agent market. According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, Athletics general manager Billy Beane said this evening that Stephen Drew and Hiroyuki Nakajima are the two free agent shortstop possibilities being considered right now.
Drew, who turns 30 in March, batted .223/.309/.348 with seven home runs, 28 RBI and a .657 OPS in 79 games this season between the Diamondbacks and Athletics. He looked a bit more like himself after joining Oakland in August, but the A’s declined their half of a $10 million mutual option for 2013 in late October. Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM reported yesterday that the A’s, Red Sox, Yankees, Cardinals and Tigers are all in on the veteran shortstop.
Nakajima went through the posting process last winter, but had to return to Japan after he failed to work out an agreement with the Yankees. He’s an unrestricted free agent this time around. The 30-year-old batted .311/.382/.451 with 13 home runs, 74 RBI, seven stolen bases and an .833 OPS this past season with the Seibu Lions. John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that the Giants have spoken with Nakajima’s representatives as a possible backup plan in case they are unable to re-sign Marco Scutaro.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)