Dec 3, 2012, 2:20 PM EST
Eli Whiteside has been a busy guy.
First the Yankees claimed him off waivers from the Giants in early November. Then he avoided arbitration with the Yankees by signing a one-year, $625,000 deal. Then the Yankees dropped him from the 40-man roster and placed him back on waivers.
And now the Blue Jays have claimed Whiteside, assuming his $625,000 contract and putting him on their 40-man roster. For now, at least. Who knows how long that will last considering Whiteside’s recent travels and Toronto’s tendency to claim and waive players constantly.
Meanwhile, he’s a 33-year-old career .215 hitter and no higher than third on the Blue Jays’ current catching depth chart, all while the Yankees try to replace Russell Martin behind the plate.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)