Dec 3, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT
Eli Whiteside has been a busy guy.
First the Yankees claimed him off waivers from the Giants in early November. Then he avoided arbitration with the Yankees by signing a one-year, $625,000 deal. Then the Yankees dropped him from the 40-man roster and placed him back on waivers.
And now the Blue Jays have claimed Whiteside, assuming his $625,000 contract and putting him on their 40-man roster. For now, at least. Who knows how long that will last considering Whiteside’s recent travels and Toronto’s tendency to claim and waive players constantly.
Meanwhile, he’s a 33-year-old career .215 hitter and no higher than third on the Blue Jays’ current catching depth chart, all while the Yankees try to replace Russell Martin behind the plate.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)