Dec 3, 2012, 2:20 PM EST
Eli Whiteside has been a busy guy.
First the Yankees claimed him off waivers from the Giants in early November. Then he avoided arbitration with the Yankees by signing a one-year, $625,000 deal. Then the Yankees dropped him from the 40-man roster and placed him back on waivers.
And now the Blue Jays have claimed Whiteside, assuming his $625,000 contract and putting him on their 40-man roster. For now, at least. Who knows how long that will last considering Whiteside’s recent travels and Toronto’s tendency to claim and waive players constantly.
Meanwhile, he’s a 33-year-old career .215 hitter and no higher than third on the Blue Jays’ current catching depth chart, all while the Yankees try to replace Russell Martin behind the plate.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 54
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 23
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)